Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 R6 “Tina” has been through a lot. I got her as a project bike and ended up getting her up and running. I had a few carburetor issues a while back but got them situated and she’s been riding great since. BUT Last week she randomly started acting up again. I was leaving the house and not even 2 mins down the road the engine cut off. While I was still moving I hit the kill switch and start and it did start back up… for about 2 seconds cut back off and wouldn’t cut back on. So now she will not stay on…. I’ll cut bike on from cold start let it warm up to about 170-180 than her RPMs drop amd she dies out while still in neutral. After she dies and I try to restart it she sputters to cut back on but doesn’t. I was thinking it could be a gas issue but I had my carbs sonic cleaned less than a month ago at a dealership and my fuel pump is working great so the more research I’m doing I’m thinking electrical.
So I check my fuses, stator/plug, rectifier/plug Battery charge and CDI/plug. Everything looks good except for my CDI. The back of it looks like it burnt out but I wanted to make sure that would be the cause of my symptoms. Any Help is appreciated!
Grey Gas Fixture Rectangle Art

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 02 R6 “Tina” has been through a lot. I got her as a project bike and ended up getting her up and running. I had a few carburetor issues a while back but got them situated and she’s been riding great since. BUT Last week she randomly started acting up again. I was leaving the house and not even 2 mins down the road the engine cut off. While I was still moving I hit the kill switch and start and it did start back up… for about 2 seconds cut back off and wouldn’t cut back on. So now she will not stay on…. I’ll cut bike on from cold start let it warm up to about 170-180 than her RPMs drop amd she dies out while still in neutral. After she dies and I try to restart it she sputters to cut back on but doesn’t. I was thinking it could be a gas issue but I had my carbs sonic cleaned less than a month ago at a dealership and my fuel pump is working great so the more research I’m doing I’m thinking electrical.
So I check my fuses, stator/plug, rectifier/plug Battery charge and CDI/plug. Everything looks good except for my CDI. The back of it looks like it burnt out but I wanted to make sure that would be the cause of my symptoms. Any Help is appreciated! View attachment 377830 .
That puppy is done bud. Before you replace it, check your electrical and look for any wires that are rubbed through or damaged connections.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotcha, Do I need to pull the whole harness to check wires out or just check wires near plugs? A new CDI one plug is over $400. I was thinking of finding a new or slightly used harness and new two plug ECU. I really don’t know.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You can check the harness on the bike. Look for burnt pins and ohm the wires to ground and across each other.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,393 Posts
Have the valve clearances ever been checked? It’ll start cold every time right? But, peters out as it warms up? Sounds like tight valve clearances.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have the valve clearances ever been checked? It’ll start cold every time right? But, peters out as it warms up? Sounds like tight valve clearances.
Bro, did you see those blisters on his ic's on that box? I agree he should lash the valves, but that cdi box is DONE.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,393 Posts
Bro, did you see those blisters on his ic's on that box? I agree he should lash the valves, but that cdi box is DONE.
Yeah, that don’t look good, but if that was his issue, it wouldn’t act like he’s describing. When electronics go, they go. They don’t work for a while then cut out when the engine gets warm.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, that don’t look good, but if that was his issue, it wouldn’t act like he’s describing. When electronics go, they go. They don’t work for a while then cut out when the engine gets warm.
I've had plenty of electronics fail that way. Stereos that clipped when they got hot till they failed, amps, dairy equipment etc.

Maybe if I were in op's shoes I'd do the valves first though. That cdi sure do look shady, but, it might not have failed yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure if they have been checked before I owned but she’s at about 13k miles now. I’m going to have to plan a project day to check them out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts