Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to this great forum, I managed to take out my carbs, clean them as the bike sat for close to 6-7 years. I cleaned the tank to best of my ability, new fuel filter, and cleaned out the carbs (jets, main, etc). When I went to start up the bike it starts fine, but there's sputtering on low rpms and it also died on me when comming to a redlight or stop, is scary driving on road like this. High rpms it runs like a champ, but sometimes after runnin it won't start back up, bc the engine gets flooded with fuel, as I can see it droppin from exhaust, and it also wets the spark plug to where it won't spark. So I did research, I need to adjust my air/fuel mixture bc is running very rich, something I did not do or even drilled the cap for. Could those screws get clogged up aswell? Also to adjust them, I go all the way in on all 4, then turn them out 2.5 turns, I be read a lot and that's what mostly everyone says. Thanks in advance...

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
How did the float needles look? Flooding can be from the float height being wrong. Maybe they don't actuate the float needles themselves. A float could have skipped off the clip that it rests on to the needle.

I had fuel dumping cause a pilot jet came loose and I actually could see it dribbling into the port for the one carb.

But generally flooding is float related.

Regarding your pm on the hoses off the bottom of the gas tank, they are just vent and overflow lines that go down the left side of the bike and come out by the kickstand. That wouldn't cause the issue.

2.5 turns out on the pilot screws is a good start. If it is too lean it will crackle and pop when maintaining low rpms and speed. Sort out the float needles and float height and go from there.

:YEA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did take out where the needles go when I cleaned the carb last week, but never took out the needles themselves out of the black piece that holds them. There's a possibility one or 2 needles may be getting stuck. I'm going to clean the carburetor tonight again and adjust the mix screw. Thanks for ur quick response brother. I haven't messed with float height or anything if that nature, just removed the floats and put them back how they were when I took them off. They seemed to move freely after I cleaned them.

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
Take the needles out and make sure they are clean. Go back through and re clean the carbs as well. A lot of times after you clean them once and run it something else can get sucked into the carbs. Check your needle and seats! If one is plugged or multiple are plugged it will hold your floats open and cause a flooding issue.

Also reclean your pilots and your mains. Soak them over night and then blow them out the next day with the air compressor

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok guys I'm following what u guys told me, this is so far what I've come to, all 4 looked somewhat like this one. Also on the second pic, I found that 2 of the 4 floats were bent, in guessing this is the height u guys were saying. 2 were really straight, I believe these age factory settings and 2 were bent outwards, looking towards me if I'm looking at the carb. Do I just make these 2 str8 aswell?

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/junior_rodriguez12/Mobile Uploads/image_zps8247a7fd.jpg

Bottom 2 were bent, top 2 look factory straight.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/junior_rodriguez12/Mobile Uploads/image_zps6eb31b4d.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another thing I forgot to mention, the air/fuel mixture screw, I drilled out the caps today, so I know they weren't messed with in the past, but each one was set out differently, and not at oem specs 2 turns out), some were 3.5 and even 4, so what I did was I removed them, cleaned and spray carb in the holes, put the o-ring, springs and screw all the way, then backed it out 2.5 turns. Is this a correct way? And why were those screws runnin so rich (3+)?

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Bro, WTF!

The top left float looks like shit. Literally. The inside of the carb is disgusting too. They need to be cleeeeean in there. Whatever all that shit is in the bowl will jam up your jets. That is the most nasty carb I've ever seen. Is that corrosion? Scrape it all out and off. Clean it very good. Remove the diaphragms cause you're gonna need some heavy cleaner and fuel and it can destroy the diaphragm.

Here is the pic I pm'd you about. I found it. I use a micrometer to measure from the top of the float to the base of the carb. Make sure they are all even. Note how clean the carb is and they have sat for 3 years now on a shelf. And this isn't even clean enough honestly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Bro, WTF!

The top left float looks like shit. Literally. The inside of the carb is disgusting too. They need to be cleeeeean in there. Whatever all that shit is in the bowl will jam up your jets. That is the most nasty carb I've ever seen. Is that corrosion? Scrape it all out and off. Clean it very good. Remove the diaphragms cause you're gonna need some heavy cleaner and fuel and it can destroy the diaphragm.

Here is the pic I pm'd you about. I found it. I use a micrometer to measure from the top of the float to the base of the carb. Make sure they are all even. Note how clean the carb is and they have sat for 3 years now on a shelf. And this isn't even clean enough honestly.

Honestly it wasn't that dirty, we cleaned it before and put some type of sealant around the bowls and I'm guessing is not fuel friendly so it just threw it all in there, looked like a kid took a shit on there lol. Already took it apart and cleaned everything literally. All I gotta do is put the jets back on tomorrow as I'm letting them sit on carb cleaner over night. Any input on why the mixture screws were set so high (3.5) from factory? Maybe my bike was built on a Monday after drinking wit the fellas the night before.

Also, if I bend the metal piece on the float towards me, (like ur pic), is it to recieve more fuel or less? I'm thinking of just making the 2 that are bent straight, to look like the other 2.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Honestly it wasn't that dirty, we cleaned it before and put some type of sealant around the bowls and I'm guessing is not fuel friendly so it just threw it all in there, looked like a kid took a shit on there lol. Already took it apart and cleaned everything literally. All I gotta do is put the jets back on tomorrow as I'm letting them sit on carb cleaner over night. Any input on why the mixture screws were set so high (3.5) from factory? Maybe my bike was built on a Monday after drinking wit the fellas the night before.

Also, if I bend the metal piece on the float towards me, (like ur pic), is it to recieve more fuel or less? I'm thinking of just making the 2 that are bent straight, to look like the other 2.

You wanna measure and have em all even height. If you bend the tab towards you it should float up and press the needle valve sooner and let the carb see less fuel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts