Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of buying a bike pre winter and storing it ready to pop out in the spring.

I just wanted to get your opinions on this bike I was looking at.

It only had a leo vince high mount exhaust for engine mods (carbon fiber over the can?) ,,, very nice exhaust, not hot when you touch it because of the carbon. Looks very nice and sounds BEAUTIFUL!

He has: chrome rims on it and chrome swingarm. Blue chrome windscreen. Some little carbon fiber pieces here and there, along with little things like a tank protector and such. Has some flush mounts in the front and back...

Looks to be taken care of very well, idles smooth not jumpy around 500 i think... maybe lower or higher... sprockets looked sharp and the tires look good.

He is gonna throw in his Aria helmet (very nice helmet) and some jacket, all blue.

What do you guys think? He has a good amount invested in this bike... I couldnt talk him down below 7... 4300 miles, oil changed every 1k miles

·
Registered
166 Posts
7k seems a lil high for an 03. The blue book is $4500 or so. Aftermarket stuff shouldnt add $2500 to the value unless all his mods cost like $10000. For the R6 with all that stuff I would think around 6k would be a fair price.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
forgot to mention im in the east coast, PA... All the r6's around here are priced at around 6k for stock =/ ... I think Im gonna jump on it... the bike looks very nice, mint... I guess I already have my answer, lol... just need some gloves...

where can I get some decent carbon fiber knuckle gloves?

EDIT: Dont chrome rims, tires, chrome swingarm and full high mount exhaust run over 2500?

·
Registered
166 Posts
My summer gloves are Joe Rocket Phoenix and they have silver carbon fiber. My winter gloves are Alpinestars SP1 and they have regular carbon fiber. Both of those are good. Search froogle for best prices.

Yea that might run $2500 but why would you pay retail for his mods?? Aftermarket stuff shouldnt add back to the bike what was payed for it.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
well, a lot of it depends on how the work was done. If they swingarm and wheels and whatever else is "polished" and he did the work himself, he really can't "charge" for it...maybe a little cuz it looks good, but that is about it. No way to set a price on labor, ya know? You have low milage, sounds like a clean bike, and some good starting mods. Maybe it is worth a little more for all that. As long as you are happy, then there are no complaints right? ;)

I say that if you are happy with the price, and he is happy, then everyone is happy, and you get a bike. It sounds like a nice bike, and you are getting some good gear. Make sure it all fits how it should...gear that doesn't fit right is about as bad as shoes that are the wrong size.

Gloves, go to Google and type in street appearal, or go search the many websites out there. Cycle Gear, MAW, kneedraggers.com...jsut to name a few.

Congrats, and be sure to get us all a pic of it when you get it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea definitely get a pic. Its just that I was having such a hard time finding an r6 nearby with a reasonable price, this one is about the same as some other prices but with a lot of extras.

The rims and swingarm are chrome not polished.

I checked out the helmet and it fits perfect, we are about the same size...

Also I believe he said the jacket was ICON, never heard of them but a jacket is a jacket right?

Forgot to mention I believe he has new brakes, gotta check on that one

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
ptirmal said:
but a jacket is a jacket right?
I KNOW that you don't honestly think that??!!?? Come on now...I swear people say that just to get others fired up! :hammer

OK, so I will be honest in answering the question, in hopes that you are seriously stating that you don't know.

Riding gear is like a rear tire. All of them will work, for the intended purpose, but some will be better than others. Some heavier, some thinner, some slick, some with tread, different patterns, different compositions, different hardness....and so on. Gear is no different. There are many different things out there. Some are MUCH better than others, some depend on the riding styles and fit and all the other factors.

I will be honest, it sounds like you have some good gear. Arai is a GREAT helmet, some will argue the best. I know that I have a buddy alive today because of that Arai helmet. Icon makes some really great stuff....and they make some stuff strictly for the BLING BLING crowd. It just depends on what it is you have. Here are a few links to check out gear. Find the ones you have and do some reviews on, or post up here what you have and I am sure someone will comment :) There is a TON of knowledge on this site...and we all want the same for everyone, so feel free to use the resources!

http://www.newenough.com/index2.htm
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/
http://www.kneedraggers.com/

Hopefully you take me in a serious/smartass wayabout gear...I am trying to be funny, then again, somewhat serious. There are major differences in jackets and gear, and it depends on the $$ and the style and the waether and street/track you ride. I will agree with you in saying that wearing ANY jacket is better than wearing NONE. I heard something a while back that always sticks in my head....

I would rather SWEAT than BLEED.

Post up what ya got, and the bike...and then enjoy yourself here. We can be a lot of entertainment, especially the gay guys...you will know them when you see them
:gayfight

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know some jackets are better (thats why the cost 3x as much) ... I meant for street riding, theyre all similar, at least they protect you well! Also I saw an ICON jacket in the for sale section so i figured it's probably decent.

Ill be picking it up hopefully Thursday and Ill get some pics before or after then...

I think im gonna hit up a nearby bike shop to get some gloves that fit but I still need stands and small things for the winter... i.e. : cover, chain lube, ...

EDIT: Quick question, whats a fair price on some carbon fiber knuckle gloves? I saw some on ebay around 50, then I check out kneedraggers and see some for 200 :poke

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Headed out to the shop yesterday and picked up a few things, got some lube and fuel stabalizer for the winter (probably head out again to get a battery tender)

I picked up some Joe Rocket Blue with Carbon fiber gloves and they fit perfect! Strong as hell too!

Turns out im gonna be waiting a few days longer for it :cuss but its all worth it..

·
Registered
49 Posts
ptirmal said:
I picked up some Joe Rocket Blue with Carbon fiber gloves and they fit perfect! Strong as hell too!
Are you talking about the Nova gloves? That's what I have and they seem to be pretty good.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
who me said:
ptirmal said:
Are you talking about the Nova gloves? That's what I have and they seem to be pretty good.
i dunno, all I know is theyre jo rocket and they have carbon fiber knuckles, lol... dont think they say nova on them ill check when I get home

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,781 Posts
yoda said:
ptirmal said:
but a jacket is a jacket right?
I KNOW that you don't honestly think that??!!?? Come on now...I swear people say that just to get others fired up! :hammer

OK, so I will be honest in answering the question, in hopes that you are seriously stating that you don't know.

Riding gear is like a rear tire. All of them will work, for the intended purpose, but some will be better than others. Some heavier, some thinner, some slick, some with tread, different patterns, different compositions, different hardness....and so on. Gear is no different. There are many different things out there. Some are MUCH better than others, some depend on the riding styles and fit and all the other factors.

I will be honest, it sounds like you have some good gear. Arai is a GREAT helmet, some will argue the best. I know that I have a buddy alive today because of that Arai helmet. Icon makes some really great stuff....and they make some stuff strictly for the BLING BLING crowd. It just depends on what it is you have. Here are a few links to check out gear. Find the ones you have and do some reviews on, or post up here what you have and I am sure someone will comment :) There is a TON of knowledge on this site...and we all want the same for everyone, so feel free to use the resources!

http://www.newenough.com/index2.htm
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/
http://www.kneedraggers.com/

Hopefully you take me in a serious/smartass wayabout gear...I am trying to be funny, then again, somewhat serious. There are major differences in jackets and gear, and it depends on the $$ and the style and the waether and street/track you ride. I will agree with you in saying that wearing ANY jacket is better than wearing NONE. I heard something a while back that always sticks in my head....

I would rather SWEAT than BLEED.

Post up what ya got, and the bike...and then enjoy yourself here. We can be a lot of entertainment, especially the gay guys...you will know them when you see them
:gayfight
Very well put Yoda! :cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts