Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting a 2003 R6 next month as a project bike (some electrical issues, needs new chain/tires, some other stuff.) I have intentions to street the bike for a few months or a year+, but eventually track it. Since I have the intention to track the bike, should I put money into the 2003 or sell it for a newer R6? I will be getting this R6 since I'm getting a really good deal on it.

·
Registered
2011 R6 Race Bike
96 Posts
If your just doing track days then any year R6 is fine. You mentioned it could be over a year. Alot changes in a year so I'm not sure what your hoping to learn here. Just ride it and learn proper technique. The bike is more then capable of clicking off quick laps on a track.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In terms of aftermarket parts there looks to be a massive amount for R6's from 2008 onward, including quick shifters and auto blippers for down shifts, etc. I think I'll resell this bike once I get it running, shouldn't take much and I should be able to get like 3k at the least.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im getting it for 1,400 and I will have to figure out why it doesn't want to start on its own power. Shouldn't be hard to trace that. Once it starts and rides good, I have the option of selling it and getting a newer year or using it. Current owner hasn't done any prep for track. Idk if the right side up forks will be any issue.

I do like the thought of selling it and getting a newer R6 since Im sure I can get around 3,000+ when it runs right. I cant seem to find much racing stuff for the 03, and I see its recommended to change to USD forks. If I sell it for 3k then just buy an 06+, that sounds like a good option to me.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
In terms of aftermarket parts there looks to be a massive amount for R6's from 2008 onward, including quick shifters and auto blippers for down shifts, etc. I think I'll resell this bike once I get it running, shouldn't take much and I should be able to get like 3k at the least.
Why do you think you need that stuff?? It wont make you any faster.
What you dont understand about the later model ones is the titanium valves... the service life tends to be limited on them.
The older ones have steel valves so you can get years of laps without much worry.
Yamaha made that from 2006 til 2016. Paid a whole bunch of contingency. The racers chasing that have moved on to the new units.
Still the bikes from 2000 on up are very capable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Why do you think you need that stuff?? It wont make you any faster.
What you dont understand about the later model ones is the titanium valves... the service life tends to be limited on them.
The older ones have steel valves so you can get years of laps without much worry.
Yamaha made that from 2006 til 2016. Paid a whole bunch of contingency. The racers chasing that have moved on to the new units.
Still the bikes from 2000 on up are very capable.
Okay cool, that makes me pretty confident in this purchase. Im fine with modifying this bike however way, I will eventually make a post for track prep. In fairness Im not that knowledgeable about the Yamaha lineup (Only vehicle I have is an 04 Yfz 450, love it to bits) but knowing that I should be plenty happy with this 03 is good. Thanks. I'll keep the 03 for myself then lol. In terms of wanting the quick shifter, I've always wanted to have a bike with one. Obviously can't on a YFZ and my Versys doesn't need one for any reason. I'm sure I can just program a Dynojet one and call it good though.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
my point here... Ive seen guys complain they couldnt ride fast because their quickshifter was broken. :lies: Get the basics down and those features may add... excuse me subtract et from your laptime. Do beginners need autoblippers when they dont know how to time brake markers or hit consistent apexes?? Thats really none of my business but the answer is no. Look at all the best riders... they practice fundamentals just like professional basketball players shooting layups or jumpshots prior to a game.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my point here... Ive seen guys complain they couldnt ride fast because their quickshifter was broken. :lies: Get the basics down and those features may add... excuse me subtract et from your laptime. Do beginners need autoblippers when they dont know how to time brake markers or hit consistent apexes?? Thats really none of my business but the answer is no. Look at all the best riders... they practice fundamentals just like professional basketball players shooting layups or jumpshots prior to a game.
Okay yeah I get your point here. Basically you're saying it's a good idea to learn on this 03 R6 since it wouldn't have all the assisting stuff that modern ones do, and I don't need a quick shifter because that's stuff to decrease lap times.

From what I understand the 03 R6 is a raw experience bike since no abs, no traction control and 120ish HP, and that's what I want. My Versys doesn't have any of those electronic features, and I sling it around the streets faster than people on 600s. Course street doesn't mean track ability, but that's an example imo. I want to do track because I think it'll be a fun experience and could be a hobby for me in the future.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
From what I understand the 03 R6 is a raw experience bike since no abs, no traction control and 120ish HP, and that's what I want. My Versys doesn't have any of those electronic features, and I sling it around the streets faster than people on 600s. Course street doesn't mean track ability, but that's an example imo. I want to do track because I think it'll be a fun experience and could be a hobby for me in the future.
dont concern yourself with HP. Its the torque... a modern 600 makes less than 50 ft lbs... not much at all. There is no need for TC on a 600 except maybe in the rain... ABS is
completely useless for a track bike.
Dont assume taking risks on the street makes you fast on the track... it doesnt. If anything most folks get their egos crushed when they realize how slow they are.
Closed course riding is much different. Starting with braking technique, foot/body position, & emotional stamina.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah Im not expecting to be fast on a track. I hear the 600cc game is crazy competitive. I only have a year of riding motorcycles underneath my helmet so please excuse any ignorance, I'm still learning. 😂

1 - 11 of 11 Posts