Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the 03 r6 for cheap because it cranks but doesn’t start. I went through the entire bike and can’t find anything to keep it from starting but the torn up wires to the tps sensor. Would that keep the bike from starting?
Automotive tire Coil Motor vehicle Gesture Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Engineering Gas

Hand Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
The things people do with wires make me cringe LoL.

Record trouble codes, clear them, then see what (if any) comes back. If the TPS fails POST, it'll let you know. There's also a test for TPS in diag mode. While you're in diag mode, test spark and injectors. Not sure of an easy way to test timing signal. There is a test that'll let you verify vacuum reading during crank. (the faster the crank for that test, the better)

IIRC all of the safety switches stop cranking so they're not suspect at this point. But when they start hack'n up the wiring, anything becomes possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man this is terrible I hate when people just touch stuff just to do it lol. He’s bypassed everything possible on the bike. Why bypass a neutral safety switch lol. Yes he did that, then the kickstand sensor too. I also I can’t go into diag mode because my tachometer buttons aren’t working lol any suggestions for that? No codes but I believe the TPS was wired/rigged enough to where it didn’t throw a code. If that’s possible

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Yeah I can see your hand open in the first shot as if to say, "WTF?". Looks like they may have even stripped the screw head. (blurred photo though)

Sometimes a relay fails to trigger in the starting circuit cut-off module and they don't have the background to figure it out so they just start hacking/bypassing everything. A relay that won't trigger isn't always a bad relay, sometimes a poor connection on its coil circuit is the factor. (doesn't get the full 12v or solid ground needed to trigger)

Re diag mode, this info may be helpful/relevant...
<<

Intending to test the side stand and neutral switches, I found it was nearly impossible to get into diagnostic mode. Instead, kept getting into display brightness mode. Had no problems changing settings once there. Few times I did get to the Diag screen, I couldn't advance from there. One time I could but couldn't change anything. Couple of times I cycled through clock-set mode. Clock being wrong, decided may as well set it. Well, that attempt revealed something...​
My Reset button was apparently stuck. Pulled the automotive plastic push-ins out of the windshield cowel, remove the windshield and cluster. Opened up and...​
This aftermarket gauge cluster case allows the pad to 'sidestep' the button.​
>>​

1 - 4 of 4 Posts