Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been wanting to break my bike out but right now my turn signals are acting up. The left turn signal works, dash indicator flashes normally, the issue is the left headlight flashes in sync with the turn signal, almost like the headlight bulb is the turn signal bulb. On the right side the indicator stays solid when signaled, the dash indicator and both the front and rear turn signals do not flash. Any ideas? I don’t think it’s a flasher unit issue as it does flash in sync on the left side, it just activated the headlight instead of the turn signal.

thanks!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Someone has been screwing with the wiring. Those circuits don't interact at all.

#51 & 52 is your headlight and high beam.

#s 61 through 64 are your turn sigs.'

#58 is the switch on the handle bar. 60 is the flasher relay but we know that works fine.

The diagram is for a 2008 second gen. The wiring could be a tad different for a 2003.

Rectangle Product Slope Font Parallel

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Manual contains diagrams for wire routing and ties. When ignored, it can lead to chafing and shorts.

But the more likely issue is someone added item(s) to a circuit and overloaded the wiring (causing shorts) -or/and- just flat out hacked it up. Rear of my bike, someone called themselves doing a "fender delete". There were twisties, electrical tape and electrical caps, typically seen with household wiring. 🤡 Fortunately they touched no other wiring on the bike.

You'll need a couple of straight-pins to poke through wiring insulation, alligator clips and a standard volt meter. It'll help to have pen and paper to map things out as you go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I did some digging today, the harness near the fan had been cut open and 4 wires were completely split. I wired them back up properly but I’m still having problems. The left front signal works completely fine but the rear of my integrated motodynamic taillight flashes the entire brake light in sync with the turn signals but the turn signal park does not function. On the right side the front flashes very fast but the rear does nothing. Tried swapping front bulbs, and it’s the same. I did have to unplug the running lights on the front because otherwise the right dash indicator would be solid. I checked all the other wiring and didn’t notice anything wrong. The flasher unit kind of makes a whining noise but I’m not sure if it could be that since both sides have different problems and the rear lights don’t function at all. Any ideas with this extra info?

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Totally disconnect the tail light (except for ground) then use some jumper wires (12v) to map out your tail light; record on paper chart.

Then use your volt meter to map out the wires on your bike, starting with identifying all ground connections.
Connect the volt meter between ground and a wire then activate turn-sig.
You'll see rapid oscillation of voltage on the meter when you have the correct wire for that turn sig.

That chart will then allow you to figure out what needs to be connected to what.
I totally redid my rear and went through that process.
It'll take awhile but then you know everything is done right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Poked around a bit today, left signal side everything is good, on the right side I noticed that Both the front positive and ground wire have continuity with common ground, does this mean my positive wire is shorted on a ground somewhere? The rear right side I noticed received significantly less voltage than the left side when engaged.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
IF the right and left do not test identically, that seems logical. Disconnect the factory wiring and test back at the turn signal relay. If the same behavior is observed there, perhaps the relay was damaged.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I bought KT headlights (white optical fiber) for my 2008 R6 and I have everything plugged in correctly and the main part of the headlight isn’t turning on, only the small strip where the turning signal is working. Wondering if anyone knew the problem.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
These relays are the standard 12v SPST-NO and will have a SWITCH side, and a COIL side. When 12v + ground are applied to the COIL, it then closes the SWITCH. Power can then transmit though the SWITCH.

Test for power at the relay SWITCH. If you have power on one side but not the other, test for 12v and ground at the COIL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts