Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 r6. Earlier the bike was running but it was leaking fuel. Now it won’t start at all, I hear it prime but I can’t track the leak down. Any ideas? I can post pictures if anyone needs
Motor vehicle Blue Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bag

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,583 Posts
Looks like your fuel return line nipple is missing/broken off.

….and you’ve got a bolt clamped into the fuel return line.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,583 Posts
The fuel pump pushes fuel out the hose with the elbow and it has to come back through the return line. It won’t run like that. It looks like someone crammed that bolt head into the hole where the nipple is supposed to be? Looks like you need a fuel pump now. @Hoonatic has had one of these pumps apart more recently than I but what I’m looking at looks properly F*€{ed.

Was this bike ever running? And what was the shop supposed to do to it?

·
Registered
Everything you need to know is in the Service Manual !
177 Posts
This is how I picked the bike up from the shop who did work on it. Do you think they broke the nipple and bolted it?
You deserve your money back from the shop if that’s not the way it arrived there. I can’t tell from the picture if it’s broken beyond repair but 8ball is prob right. That hose that is bolted off should attach to a removable nipple on the fuel pump housing. There’s no way to run the bike in that condition

·
Registered
177 Posts
Looks like your fuel return line nipple is missing/broken off.

….and you’ve got a bolt clamped into the fuel return line.
It may be a newer R6 pump or even R1 housing. They have that port for the return line still but it is capped off. They have an internal fuel pressure regulator. My guess is a swapped fuel pump and they didn’t know what to do with the return line..

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,583 Posts
It may be a newer R6 pump or even R1 housing. They have that port for the return line still but it is capped off. They have an internal fuel pressure regulator. My guess is a swapped fuel pump and they didn’t know what to do with the return line..
Good call. The “14B” that is visible in the part number indicates it is an 2009-14 R1 part.

They could’ve used a 2002-05 R1 pump. That would’ve been the same as the 03-05 R6 pump. But not that one. Not compatible

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good call. The “14B” that is visible in the part number indicates it is an 2009-14 R1 part.

They could’ve used a 2002-05 R1 pump. That would’ve been the same as the 03-05 R6 pump. But not that one. Not compatible
Yea they switched up the housing. The fuel pumps put out the exact same numbers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fuel pump pushes fuel out the hose with the elbow and it has to come back through the return line. It won’t run like that. It looks like someone crammed that bolt head into the hole where the nipple is supposed to be? Looks like you need a fuel pump now. @Hoonatic has had one of these pumps apart more recently than I but what I’m looking at looks properly F*€{ed.

Was this bike ever running? And what was the shop supposed to do to it?
The bike somehow started earlier with this fuel pump set up. How it started, I don’t know. The shop replaced the ECU because it fried. Going to order a new fuel pump. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks for the help, I’ll order a 03 fuel pump off eBay and swap it out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I’m only trying to get this thing to run just to sell it. This was my original first bike. Bought a brand new r1 recently but it was stolen. So now I’m stuck with the Frankenstein bike 🤡
They sell a aftermarket fuel pump housing, not sure on quality but any second hand oem pump with a return port will work. That’s all you need I’m sure. The fuel pump is prob fine ( could use a new filter if your already in there )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts