Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.. hi, i just signed up on to this forum ... so hello all around .. (n high fivez) ..

.. i am seriously considering buying a 2004 yahama R6 .. What can your guys tell me about the Bike? should i go for it? should i go for something else? and can yall give me useful info like Mileage, Service probs, parts probs etc .. if yall can, i would reallie appreciate it ..

here are my requirements:
1. 600cc
2. light weight (relative to other bikes int eh same class ofcourse)
3. fast, and great to have fun on ..
4. I plan on keeping it for 6-7 years
5. good mileage (if yall can tell me the mileage of the R6 i would appreciate it)

.. ya i think, thas all so far .. i am impressed by the R6 ..

devilzangel

·
Registered
836 Posts
Do you have ANY motorcycling experience whatsoever?

If not, do yourself a favor and find a good used 500. If so, the R6 is a very well-rounded bike, but it is still a racebike first and foremost. The low speed handling is wonky at best, and it has enough power to get you in serious trouble even if you ARE being carefull.

Just look at what happened to Jay Williams.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.. nah .. no real experience .. but have riden scooters, and hondas total hours = approx 200 hrs

.. i dont want to get a wimp bike at all .. if i am gonna keep something for 5-6 yrs i dont wanna regret it after 2 months .. bc it dont have the kick i would like .. u know wut i mean? .. i didnt know how to drive my 5 speed honda civic EX when i got it ... i didnt know about shifting or anything, just bought it and started driving ... learned in a matter of minutes ..

.. u are right .. it is a sports bike .. exactly wat i want .. i cant stand my honda civic .. too damn slow .. :roll: ..

** what is the mileage on this R6 ???? (mpg)

devilzangel

·
Registered
836 Posts
So it sounds like you have ZERO experience in riding an actual motorcycle with a manual gearbox...

and it also sounds like you are interested in the R6 because you are under the impression that it is really fast. (it is, but it isn't even close to the best bike out there for straight line accelleration)

Oh, and learning to drive a stick is HARDLY analagous to learing to ride a motorcycle. Completely different type of coordination invovled. You screw up handling the clutch when you are on the gas, and you won't just have a jerky shift... you will knock your teeth out. (of course a lady in my MSF course back in the stone age managed to loop a Nighthawk 250) And you don't have to balance your Civic.

BTW... I get about 18-22 mpg from my R6 racebike. I got about 38-42 when I rode it on the street, but tires only last about 5k miles... so that more than offsets any savings in gas over a car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ic .. thankz for that .. im sorry if i made it seem like i was comparing the two types of driving styles as similiar .. all i was trying to establish is that i am a quick learner .. sorry for the confusion .. (and by no means am i saying i am trying to be a speed devil .. ish like saying i shouldnt get a supra over a civic .. it all depends on the driver's maturity )

.. wow .. only that much mileage? i thought it would be more .. the honda civic has a 125HP engine (which if i am correct, is comparatively the same for the R6 ) .. and the weights are totallie different .. but i can pull 30mpg off of that car .. why the moderate mileage on the bike? .. i must be missing something .. :?: ???

.. i will take your word on the tire costs ..

.. off hand .. how much does it cost on the insurance rates? i am over 21 .. and have nvr had an accident, or any speeding tickets .. and what type of insurance is a smart idea when owning a bike ..???

devilzangel

·
Registered
836 Posts
You have to realize the R6 is getting about 105 HP to the rear wheel. On an engine that is a third the size of your Civic's. Basically, it takes power to make power... so it uses a bit more fuel. The R6 is tuned for power first and foremost, and the Civic is tuned for the highest economy while still being drivable.

Depending on where you live and your credit rating and education level, your insurance can range from a few hundred a year to a few thousand. Kind of a sad situation, but that is the truth.

As far as learning to ride the bike. There ARE some people who can jump right on it and ride it just fine as long as they are carefull. However, a majority of people need to build up the skills neccessary to ride safely... regardless of how cautious they think they are being. Sometimes being overly cautions can CAUSE a problem.

·
Registered
953 Posts
devilzangel said:
.. hi, i just signed up on to this forum ... so hello all around .. (n high fivez) ..

.. i am seriously considering buying a 2004 yahama R6 .. What can your guys tell me about the Bike? should i go for it? should i go for something else? and can yall give me useful info like Mileage, Service probs, parts probs etc .. if yall can, i would reallie appreciate it ..

here are my requirements:
1. 600cc
2. light weight (relative to other bikes int eh same class ofcourse)
3. fast, and great to have fun on ..
4. I plan on keeping it for 6-7 years
5. good mileage (if yall can tell me the mileage of the R6 i would appreciate it)

.. ya i think, thas all so far .. i am impressed by the R6 ..

devilzangel
600cc yes
light weight - it's only heavy if you drop it.
fast - it's got balls
6-7 years - depends on how many miles on it and treate it better then a woman
good mileage - 90-120miles per tank... $3 to fill up tank :cheers

the only bike experience i had before i got the R6 was riding my pedal bike when i was little. i probably should have died a few times pretty much only from taking a turn too fast and looking where i didn't want to go. but the r6 is awesome. so is the cbr600rr and the gsxr 600. but if you want a a bike that rides well and lasts a long time get the cbr600rr or the r6. both are very good bikes. the gixxer is not so great but some poeple like it so..... whatever. :tongue

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
i personally get about 35 to 40 MPG on mine. but ofcourse u have to realize rockyr6 races his so hes always in the higher side if his RPMs. i wont say anything about the good bike for a noobie just because i dont think what i say really matters on this subject for the simple fact your going to get what YOU want :cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum. As for an R6 as your first bike. I think you should go for it. My 1st street bike, rode dirt for years, was a 02' YZF 600, a damn nice bike, but it ain't no R6, so less than a year later I bought a 03' R6. Wouldve saved me a lot of $$$ if I'd just bought the R6 first. The R6 is damn fast, but fairly easy bike to handle as a first bike. It will get you into serious trouble, medically and with the cops if you're not careful. As for 1st bikes, a story, after I bought my bike, a friend decided he wanted a bike, his 1st was a 02' ZX 9, Kawasaki, I had to ride the damn thing home from the dealer for him because he didn't know how to ride yet, but he learned, the hard way, was riding a female passenger, somebody undercut him in a turn, he went off road in a hurry, broke his neck, laid in traction for 3 months with a halo screwed into his head, and she's got more pins and hardware in her leg and ankle to build a bike. But he bought a new 03 ZX 9 before he even got the halo off and he's doing fine, spends alot of time at the drag strip now. Just be freakin' careful, and don't overestimate your abilities. Check out his website. www.nexxdimenzion.com good luck with your decision. :hump

·
Registered
72 Posts
hmmm

do you think you can handle it?

how much experience do you have?

remember know your limits and abide by them..

I started out with a 2003 R6 because i know that that is enough for me so i didnt pursue an R1.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
.. thankz all of you .. RockyR6, Cdemon, Loki1313, Twist, and Rjgwaping .. i reallie appreciate it ..

.. i understand i have to drive responsibly, and defensively .. R1 is out of the question for me as a beginner ofcourse .. i think the R6 will fill my dreams, and keep me safe as well .. i expected it to have about 40-45mpg avg .. but 40mpg isnt bad at all (when mostly cruising).. and as accidents go .. i think i will be able to keep myself in check .. i mean comon .. if u owned a dodge viper acr .. wouldnt u wanna put the pedal to the metal occasionally .. :twisted: :twisted: ..

.. ya, it aint the fastest .. but i wanna start pretty close to it ..

one more thing .. once i get the bike .. i wanna take out the signal lights, and put them embedded in the body liek the kawasaki zzr1200 .. how much will that cost .. i dont want the back light exactly the way on the zzr1200, but still like the front atleast .. any ideas???

devilzangel

·
Registered
210 Posts
TEST DRIVE

Get to a dealership and take the various 600s you are looking at for a test drive. I can not believe the number of people that spend large sums of $$ without a test drive... cycles....boats....etc.

Trust me dude...it will help you make a much more informed decision.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You will most likely regret buying it a few days after you buy it when you dropped it a few times at 2-10 MPH. I teaching my room mate to ride a bike...He go a 92 FZR first thing he did when he got on it was drive about 20 feet, dropped it and broke off the mirror! He was pissed but it wasnt the end of the world. If he did that on a 04 oooh god that would be $$. BTW i have a 04 R6 silver and it a wonderful machine!! :twisted:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
.. ya .. ima go to the dealerships next week .. i read the reviews from the "Performance Bikes" and "Motor Cyclist" Magazines .. R6 and the cbr600 are the ones on the top of their list ..

.. hmm .. ima need some good balance skills .. dont worry .. i have riden scooters, and Hero Hondas (India Model) (granted they only like 50-125cc) .. i think i got it under control .. do u know how much traffic there is on indian streets??? .. it is very intimidating over there to ride a bike bc it is very chaotic .. riding a bike over here is like getting a long earned vacation ..

devilzangel

·
Registered
18 Posts
You should look into taking the MSF course first. All the basics of riding, cornering, swerving, counter-steering and emergency stops are taught well. Since they also provide you with the motorcycle, you'll get a chance to try out some of the rides.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
now don't go 'round sayin these streets are vacation thats a sure fire way of gettin sideswiped by some 90 year old lady who just got done smokin a blunt cuz it helps out her Cataract. and a 125 is a loooooong way from the allmighty R6 you must :worship

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.. LOL .. RSixxr .. dont worry man .. i am takin u seriously .. thanks for letting me know .. u r right .. there are dum drivers on the road these days .. it is pathetic ..

..rocketman .. yes .. u r right .. i am definately gonna take the MSF course class before i start riding my bike for sure .. hehe gotta get a license toooo !! :twisted: ..

devilzangel

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't become a statistic bro, ride 75% on the public roads and save the rest for track day...........respect the bike, that thing is super powerful and will F you up in a heartbeat.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
ya i get to go to see those statistics ridemyassoff has spoken about and let me just say, IT AINT PRETTY, so be safe out there people

1 - 20 of 39 Posts