Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;

Im going to be using an 04 R6 engine in a project car with a new ECU which supports traction control but only does it by looking at 1 wheel and the output from a gear sensor rather than looking at all 4 wheels.

Does the 04 engine have a gear sensor although it may not output it to a screen of any sort?

Thanks!
Oli

·
Registered
998 Posts
huh? You can buy an aftermarket gear sensor if you wish. Iam not sure I got your whole question. What ecu are you using?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a dta ecu.

Basically Im after an analogue signal from a gear sensor. I think the aftermarket gear sensors do a load o calculations by looking at throttle, rpm whell speed etc and output it in digi form to a lil display.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
There is no gear indicator on the r6. There is a speed sensor in the engine which is more likely what you'll need for traction control. Its under the starter. Its an inductive pickup that counts the number of teeth on the 4th gear output shaft.

Aftermarket gear sensors have you install a pot. on the detent wheel and use a microcontroller to interpret what gear your in by the voltage across the pot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There is no gear indicator on the r6. There is a speed sensor in the engine which is more likely what you'll need for traction control. Its under the starter. Its an inductive pickup that counts the number of teeth on the 4th gear output shaft.

Aftermarket gear sensors have you install a pot. on the detent wheel and use a microcontroller to interpret what gear your in by the voltage across the pot.
Thanks a LOT for that info mate. Yes Ive been looking at pots all afternoon yesterday. Can you just clear up what the detent mechanism is? Is the gear selector plate thing? Sorry my knowledge of engine internals is not great. A photo would help possibly! Or I can look at installation instructions of a gear indicator kit thingie I suppose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah I call that the gear seelctor plate :*tongue

erm, right So that wheel.. it just drops in to gear and never does any full rotations does it? (Juts need to confirm)

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
No full rotations. I believe it has a rotation angle of about 330 degrees, but I'm not sure on the exact degree number.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah awsome, that really tickles my fancy :D

I think we'll measure it for exactness. Thera are pots that rotate to about 360 or so, so it shoudl all be good in theory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a look at the detent wheel finally. Its tiny. Has anyone got any photos of the potentiomener the gear display systems use?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts