Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody tell me how to install frame sliders on my 04 r6, and also where can i get them?[/b]

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
SEARCH BUD...it helps...but check out kneedraggers.com They have a few quaility ones. The sato racing one you don't have to drill your fairings. I think the torque spec is 33ft lbs im not to sure.

·
Registered
168 Posts
if you get the no cut sliders like sato or intuitive race,
installation is fairly easy. you will have to partially remove ur
right side fairing to install the bracket for that side of the bike.
while the left side is just unbolt frame bolt replace with the left sliders.
chex kneedraggers.com or ur local cycle store

·
Registered
353 Posts
yea.......
the left side you just remove the engine mount bolt....and then bolt the frame slider into that

with the cuts you have to cut a hole in your right side.......then use that engine mounting bolt......torque to 33 ft/lbs

there ya go

·
Registered
255 Posts
hey i just bought some for my 04 r6, they are the best on the market but a lil pricey. You can find them on ebay. Lockhart Phillips No Cut Carbon Frame Slider. I have a blue bike and it looks really good on it

·
Something Clever
1,272 Posts
I'd rather ge the no cut sliders, but do they work as well as the ones you have to cut the fairing for? I had heard they don't hold up as well in a crash. I just have this mind block that there is no way I'm gonna cut that right side up.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I have never tested my Intuitive No-cut sliders but most people here say that above 40 they don't really work and just snap off. I don't know if that is true but the brackets do look really sturdy.

If you drop the bike faster than that your plastics being messed up will probably the last thing on your mind. More like am I going to survive, am I gonna be a vegetable stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
if u are really concern about ur plastics get a cage :hammer

Or u can get rearsets, barend, spool, and frame silders. IT suppose to form like a triangle so when u go down it tries to save as much plastic as possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
z31maniac said:
I have never tested my Intuitive No-cut sliders but most people here say that above 40 they don't really work and just snap off. I don't know if that is true but the brackets do look really sturdy
WORD

the brackets are sturdy but threads on the bolt aren't stronger. you can think of it like taking a nail out of wood with the edge of a hammer.

as you can see- the theory is the similar. the ground force(perpendicular to engine mount) would push the slider into the engine, while the engine(block) acts like a fulcrum(pivot point) forcing the other side(bolt side) in the opposite direction of the ground force. I.E. popping the bolt out.

in conclusion: the bracket may look sturdy and the slider may be strong but if the force is too great for the bolt to handle all that stress on the slider will only be transferred to the bolt
assuming the slider doesn't bend or the bracket doesn't bend/break

mine did a little of both and i found it 5 feet away from my bike when i laid her down.

hopefully everybody can understand wtf i just said. i just woke up so everything is just splurging out of my mind. plus i'm bored so thats why i took teh time to paint that picture up.

hope it helped somebody lol

:gas

·
Banned
786 Posts
I just installed my sliders yesterday. Made some at work they look just like factory sliders, and it took about 30 min to put on. after getting over the uneasiness of cutting a hole in a prfectly good fairing. but it looks great, just like it was made to be there. YEA!

·
Registered
373 Posts
meh- if stronger bolt means stronger threads? sure...

but threads are on the bolt and inside the mount... so the threads inside the mount are still subject to that stress same stress....

i wouldn't trust a "stronger bolt"... i'd still just use cut-frame sliders IMO

follow-up:
ok so i thought about it for a couple minutes... if you look at that picture in my first post- that was my no-cut that popped out... on teh tip of the bolt is the thread that was stripped from inside the mount...
every time i look at taht slider and bolt... i always begin to wonder if the bolt was actually long enough to fit deep enough inside the mount.
evidence from that was when i placed bolt back into mount and realized how shallow it fit...

soooooooo...... maybe if you had a longer bolt... the more threads... more threads = more resistance = more strength?

just a mental guestimation. :hammer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts