Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I just recently bought 04 R6 and rode it for a week and the bike died on me at the gas station.

First I thought it was the battery so I did a jump start and brought it back home then died as soon as I pulled in to my garage.

Contacted my previous owner and told me that it was a brand new battery and he installed it .

My guess is he did not do it correctly or not sure at all.

Please help!

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,240 Posts
Gotta check the charging system. Charge up the battery on a charger. Check the voltage with a meter (should be 12.5 volts). Start the bike and check the voltage at 5000 RPM (should be over 14 volts). If not, you have an issue with the charging system (rectifier, stator or wiring). Rectifier is the most likely and easiest of these.

Do a search. There are only about 15242 threads on this issue on this forum.

Good luck.

·
Build, Go fast...Repeat!
16 Posts
check the regulator since they like to heat up so much parts are prone to failing. I've replaced a ton and usually the cheap ebay ones dont last the summer so id get the oem replacement if thats your culprit. If not check startor,tight connections,something draining power like lights or accessories.

·
Hello
527 Posts
Check to date stamp on the battery to corroborate they sellers story. Even batteries for motorcycles/jet ski/ lawn mower have a 6 month warranty....this all of course assuming your charging system isn't to blame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same problem but my battery was a bit older.Started it and when for a ride about all day then it just for no reason died. Purchased new battery touch wood been on for a few months and no issues. Could of been bad battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having this issue as well. Replaced the battery and rectifier/regulator so I will see how the battery is after a good regular week of riding. Question though. Would changing my headlights to a HID system reduce the load off the battery or system and allow the battery to charge more efficiently? I know that they use less power than halogen bulbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts