Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully things will go well this summer and I will be getting a 2004 Blue/white R6 in July. Yes this will be my "first bike" but plan on taking the MSF course and gettting tips from local riders. I have ridden mopeds and a dirtbike once. My question's are:

1. How comfortable is the '04 R6? Im going from Seattle to Idaho in August so i would only have a few weeks riding experience and dont want to take the Trans Am due to the Gas milage. I have heard there not too bad?

2. The milage, both city and highway milage. I know there was a post earlier but the dealer told me the 03/04 R6 is supposed to get almost 50MPG?

3. Is the R6 really that easy to wheelie? I heard its only 1st gear and 2nd and 3rd you have to hop it up? Not sayin im going to go out and try, just currious if its really easy or sensitive to the throttle?

4. Any other tips?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
267 Posts
hey R6Speedfreak,
I was in the same boat last year with the '03 R6. First bike, took the MSF class and wanted to ride it everywhere. I tell ya that the seat is deceptively comfortable b/c after the first hundred miles or so your a$$ will hurt. My longest ride last year was to the Harley 100th anniversary in Milwaukee on my R6. It was about 300 miles in one day and by the end of the return trip my knees were jello. This year I'm looking for a gel seat to improve the comfort of semi-long hauls. As far as gas goes, i think the bike gets near the mid-40mpg. but that also depends on how you ride. put the bike in 6th and keep the tach low then you might make 50mpg. but all the fun is in the higher RPMs and lower gears. And lastly, i found that the R6 is not easy to wheelie if you don't know what you're doing. if you know the proper technique then you can pull any bike up on one. hope i shed some light on the situation. good luck with the R6 purchase.
R6RW
:flame

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Anyone else have an opinion on any of these questions? Its kinda hard to go on just one persons opinion. Anywayz, any other imput is welcome...

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
everything he said above is right, the seat is comfortable once your used to it. its a little on the hard side compared to hondas, but in all its not bad. as far as gas mileage i usually get 40 or just above it. wheelies are easy if you know what your doin, its not like the r1 where if you hit it in first it just comes up. the R6 is a good first bike if you respect it for the power and agility it has. hope this is somewhat helpful. :cheers

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
everything he said above is right, the seat is comfortable once your used to it. its a little on the hard side compared to hondas, but in all its not bad. as far as gas mileage i usually get 40 or just above it. wheelies are easy if you know what your doin, its not like the r1 where if you hit it in first it just comes up. the R6 is a good first bike if you respect it for the power and agility it has. hope this is somewhat helpful. :cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts