Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what will it take to switch out the forks for the upside down forks on a 03-04? It would seem that you could easily swap them out. What do you guys think??

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
deserteaglepoint50 said:
So what will it take to switch out the forks for the upside down forks on a 03-04?
from the looks of it, it would take $$$$$. other than that, it looks simple. i dont know if the rims are the same though. i hope it is. i might look into it once it comes out.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
did someone say somthing about them beefing up the front end, cause it looks the same to me..

and do you think they fixed the coil problem with these models plus the engine cutting out problem? the bikes look like they havent really been changed at all , whats up here
:drink

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
OCboy03R6 said:
did someone say somthing about them beefing up the front end, cause it looks the same to me..
The forks are inverted, they are not the same.
OCboy03R6 said:
and do you think they fixed the coil problem with these models
Wasn't that fixed in '04?
OCboy03R6 said:
the bikes look like they havent really been changed at all , whats up here
  • New camshafts
    Bigger throttle bodies
    Improved fuel injection
    Revised intake funnels
3 more ponies @ 13,000 RPM

The bike IS different.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The chassis is pretty much still the same, but from a wider perspective this is tottally different bike. The forks, the internals. The power band is going to be different.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
all you need to do is buy the triple clamps, the forks, the front fender, and the brake calipers i do beleive. the rims and brake discs are the same so it should just go right on there :cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
loki1313 said:
all you need to do is buy the triple clamps, the forks, the front fender, and the brake calipers i do beleive. the rims and brake discs are the same so it should just go right on there :cheers
The 05 has 310MM Front Rotors, so you'd need those aswell

Kev

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
r62nv said:
loki1313 said:
The 05 has 310MM Front Rotors, so you'd need those aswell

Kev
my bad, forgot to read up on the rotor specs, just figured they were the same :stupic

·
Registered
182 Posts
Who else thinks it's kind of funny that they work and design on a part for years upon years upon years, and then they realize their design works better if they just flip it upside down? :poke

·
Registered
93 Posts
It may be cheaper for you to sell your 03 or 04 R6 now and go buy the 05 instead spending time, money and energy to convert. If you are below 180 lbs, the standard forks on the 04 is so good that I can't see the need for R1 or 05 conversion.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
Slowestrider said:
It may be cheaper for you to sell your 03 or 04 R6 now and go buy the 05 instead spending time, money and energy to convert. If you are below 180 lbs, the standard forks on the 04 is so good that I can't see the need for R1 or 05 conversion.
well in a year it wont cost much to get a set of forks from an 05 and you can probably get all the other parts pretty cheap about the same time also. and its defenitly alot cheaper then a new bike

·
Registered
6 Posts
why not just buy and upside down set of ohlins road and track forks, better either way and you can reuse your brake components

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What would be cheaper waiting for 05 parts on ebay or getting the ohlins forks??

·
Registered
46 Posts
deserteaglepoint50 said:
What would be cheaper waiting for 05 parts on ebay or getting the ohlins forks??
my guess is that the 05 parts would be considerably less expensive. i believe the ohlins forks are like $1500-2000. :roll: can't imagine 05 forks being more than $500 on ebay

·
Registered
995 Posts
i'm looking for some USD Forks for my trackbike. how hard is it to fit r1 usd forks

·
Registered
28 Posts
BRAVO said:
i'm looking for some USD Forks for my trackbike. how hard is it to fit r1 usd forks
Not hard. You need R1 forks and triples, but you need the R6 stem pressed into the R1 tripples. Other than that it a bolt on affair. You may also need an R1 fender (not sure if the R6 cant be modified to fit though)

It will be much easier to put the pre04 R1 end on because they have the same brakes as the R6

Also they did change the frame slightly on the 05. the rake was increased to 24.5* from 24* not much but its a change :laugh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts