Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

First post here!

I have an 05 R6 that was working fine prior to adjusting the valves.

When I turn the key the dash doesn't display, the lights and horn don't work as well. I do hear the fuel pump and some electrical/white noise near the battery.

I took the battery to a shop and they said it's at 12.3 volts and it should work fine.

I'm thinking I might have plugged some of the connectors wrong?

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I took a multimeter to the main fuse, the bolt on the left is displaying 0 As shown here:
I did check the main fuse which was good and tried using the spare fuse. Does anyone know the reason for this?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
There's a wire harnesses that runs along the right side of the bike.

Check'em.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the connections illustrated above and the bike wont turn on.

I changed out the relay and noticed the brake lights turn on and nothing else.

Would the rectifier have anything to do with lights and dash not turning on?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I assume the battery was disconnected prior to doing the disassembly for valve lash check and adjustment?

Your battery runs everything. The charging system only comes into play once the engine is turning.

There's a box on the opposite side of the two harnesses in the prior photo. I believe those may be fuses.

There are another bundle of wire harnesses in the engine bay, left side. There are so many there, it's easy to miss one. Make sure the harnesses weren't damaged as in, wires partially pulled out of the back. They're tight and difficult to figure out how to take apart. This translates to people damaging them. Decouple them again and check for damage. Make sure they're fully snapped together. Make sure one wasn't somehow forced to be plugged into another it shouldn't have been.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I went and took the carb off and all the wires looked to be installed properly. I disconnected and reconnected just to see. The one thing to note is that I have led turn signals, which I snipped the wired to pull the fairings off. Would the detached turn signals have an effect on the dash/horn/front headlights not to work?

Thanks again for the help!

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,099 Posts
Could be shorted and fuse blown.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
There's a signal fuse, and a headlight fuse. Where, dunno. Perhaps in the spot I mentioned earlier. Pull the battery negative before any work is done. Prevents headaches like this.

I typically put a used rubber glove over the clamp to make sure it won't ground against the chassis or other metal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks @TurboBlew - I got a battery charger and gave it a full charge.

Now that I got the to bike display the dash and turnover:

I noticed that the neutral light does not turn on (kickstand up or down).

The bike only starts with the kickstand up but regardless the light Neutral light stays off.

I've seen a bunch of people with neutral light affecting their bikes from starting but mine starts.

I did put it into first gear while the bike was on and the Neutral light flashed for a sec.

Any tips?

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
could be a loose wire.
All my bikes have the kickstand switch disabled because they lack a kickstand...lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Updating this thread:

My bike is up and running now.

I had one of the plugs connected wrong, once I fixed that the dash started working.

In terms of the Neutral light - I removed the washer from the bolt that connects the neutral wire to the motor by the rear spring, not sure why that made the neutral light turn on, but its on.

Thanks for the help here!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts