Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Zoom
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My name is Joe, and I just picked up a 2005 r6. I have been looking around at bikes for a couple years but seeing as I am 21 I had to save some money. That being said. I don't think I am new to the sport bike game at all. I have ridden dirt bikes all my life, so I understand how to ride.

The first thing I think I am going to do...aside from ordering my helmet...is to put frame sliders on. I was looking at the motovation no cuts. The main reason I was looking at these is becuase I am new to any cosmetic cutting. I wouldn't want to mess that up and have to buy a new fairing as if I had been down. I noticed that a lot of people recommend against no cuts. I did see that some people are sticking up for the exact ones I was going to pick up.

This is my first sportbike, and I plan to do a lot of customization by myself in order to learn. I was also curious about an undertail. I am kind of a perfectionsit, so I hate the liscense tag. I see a lot of people mount them further forward in the whell well. I was wondering if there is ever an issue with the hugger hitting the plate doing this. I was also looking at getting the hotbodies undertail with the built in LED turn signals. Someone recommended going with the clear alternatives integrated kit and a fender eliminator. My original plan was to only use integrated turn signals, but I don't want the liscense plate hanging off the back and I don't want holes in the undertail. Mounting on the swingarm is also a possiblility.

I am also curious about HIDs for the lights. I really have no idea what they do and how to install them. I have seen several write ups about htem with pics, but I would like to know if they get both headlights working with dual lows and dual highs. I also want to put running lights in the corner of the headlight assembly. I want everything to remain stock looking though. Lowbeams on automatically and Highbeams on with the switch.

Finally i definately need some flushies. I have had someone recommend graves, but they cost 130 dollars vs hotbodes 35. I am looking for sugestions and advice.

Angel Eyes?

I am definately headed toward a "showwy" bike that I can ride everyday. Not gonna stunt it. Stunts happen on my dirtbike.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

·
O Donor
27 Posts
First up, welcome. Gratz on your bike man, i'm sure you're loving it. I can't stress enough how much an MSF or Safety course is worth. If you've got the time, take it. It will teach you things that don't happen on dirt. I'm not discounting your riding experience, but we all can improve on something.

Helmet, if you're not worried about the liner, I've been using the RF1000 from Shoei. Taking the class will lower your chances of needing frame sliders. ;) If I get around to ordering mine, I'm going with the no-cuts. Undertail on my bike was kinda easy. I took out the rear tree trunk and will be integrating amber LEDs into my rear footpegs for turn signals soon. HID is mainly an opportunity to choose a different frequency of light that comes out of your headlights. High Intensity Discharge Lights require a separate ballast to operate, some even require a slight mod to the light cover. "Showwy" bike? Prepare to order some LED accent lights to emulate the neon glow of the Fast and the Furious days. Mine are shipping as we speak. Angel Eyes are great for parking lots and come in both LED and CCFL. If you google either, you'll see plenty of options. Keep the shiny side up. And welcome again.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :D

·
Zoom
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Finally uploaded the pictures off the camera

Some with the new flushies

1 - 7 of 7 Posts