Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I have an '05 R6 with 31K miles on it. I hadn't ridden too awefully much this past winter (unusual for me) and the bike began acting strange all of a sudden. The bike pulls normally through 11,500 or 12,000 RPM and above that, under close-to-full or full throttle it acts as if it's hitting a "soft" rev-limiter. Doesn't matter what gear. If I am accelerating with about half throttle or less it accelerates normally without sounding like it's rev-limited.

So far, I have:

1.checked ignition coils for burning/arcing. Doesn't appear to be the case.
2.replaced sparkplugs since they were due anyway.
3.used another tank with different fuel pump - so it's not the pump.
4.disconnected power commander - still no change
4.disconnected battery to "reset" the ECU - nothing
5.cleared codes - only code was a tilt sensor from leaning bike over from standstill ...nothing hard enough to cause any kind of damage even to fairings as I held it from actually hitting ground

So, Does anyone have any ideas?
I was thinking about checking valve clearances. I don't know if this would cause fuel/air to escape the cylinders ONLY at high RPM or what?

Another idea passed on to me is the possibility of the valve springs wearing out so they will not open the valves fast enough at high RPM causing "valve float". Is this a possibility?

What should be the next step in this investigation? I will only take this thing to the dealership as a last resort.

THANK YOU for any input you have!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the gap on the plugs. Or it may be due for the valve adj.
Is this coming from experience by any chance?

That was my next check. I just didn't want to go through timely/costly trial and error if someone else had a better idea of where to go next.

Thanks

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
No but reading past posts it can be bad plugs,gas, or coils. I would take it to the dealer just to avoid the down time or the head ache.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That will be my last resort. I can check the valve clearances and replace the pads(shims) if necessary I'm pretty sure. It'll be a 6-pack-of-beer job but I SHOULD be able to do that much. thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
When was the last time you had you valves adjusted? I think the 28,000 is the next interval. I have 40,500 on mine I need to get it in to get them adjusted. I still have power all the way to rev limiter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jake I am experiencing the same problem with my 05 R6, except mine is worse. Mine kinda "browns out" throughout the whole power band and hits its limits much earlier. I haven't gotten to the source of the problem just yet, but I am convinced it is electrical... I disconnected the main wires from the battery and tested the resistance when the bike was off, I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be infinite but ended up being like 10 ohms.

I would recommend testing your bike, it sounds like an electrical issue to me. make sure you check out your charging system as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts