Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2005 R6 Raven...SEXY!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 R6 with 18800 miles on it and I'm having a bit of an issue. I'm getting a loud "thud" sound when shifting from first to second. I can audibly hear it and feel it in my foot while shifting at low and high RPMs. It feels like there's a lot of resistance. Going from second to third isn't as bad, but the problem is still there. From third up, it feels smooth, and what I would call normal. Any ideas guys?

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Have you changed the oil lately?

·
2005 R6 Raven...SEXY!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just dont know if I'm reading too much into it, or if it's a real problem. Have any of you noticed that your transmission is noisy when you shift gears? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have an 03 with 13k on it and I don't really hear much of a sound, there is a little but I know that was one of things people complained about with the 03. The shifting being loud and clunky especially in 1st to 2nd and back. I would only worry about it if it just showed up.

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
I wouldnt worry guys, I hear it on just about every bike I ride with.

·
2005 R6 Raven...SEXY!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the update.... I changed the oil a few days ago, but I didn't really get to ride it that far. This past weekend I rode for about an hour total, which allowed the bike to get warm and to really lubricate everything with the new oil. The tranny seems much more normal, and the gears are shifting so much smoother now. Oh, and by the way, pre-loading before you shift gears makes it so much easier.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just a suggestion but many times this has nothing to do with the tranny but everything to do with the rubber inserts that are supposed to cushion that feel in the rear wheel, where on the side where the rear sprocket goes into bettween the rubber "bumpers". I wish I knew how to explain it better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Let your bike warm up real good before riding and it will shift smoother. I adjusted my shift lever on my bike and I got way smoother shifts out of it, doing the same might help some more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts