Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm a new member and I think my bike is making a weird noise when warm and between 2000-4000 rpms. Please watch the video and give me an answer. I think is the CCT or the valves. The motorcycle is a Yamaha YZF R6 2005.Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The sound is coming from your clutch, I would do a check of the plates and make sure nothing is broken. Its known for Yamaha clutch basket to make a noise but it sounds more like grinding....

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Sounds like a rattle noise that is consistent and synonymous with engine RPM.

Does pulling the clutch in make any difference with the sound?

Doesn't sound like valvetrain noise so if it ain't the clutch, my next guess would be an rod/crank bearing or wrist pin.
May try turning it over by hand.
Drain the oil and send a sample off the Blackstone for oil analysis. Though not fool proof, that should help determine whether there's an internal issue without disassembly.
Next step is to pull off the oil pan and start wiggle'n stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this thing has been doing it for about 4000 km, so I don't think it would be a connecting rod or bearings, it should have cracked already.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Ask the oil analysis folks whether or not they cover plastic debris and how that might show up in their analysis reports. Memory serving the timing chain guides are all plastic. So an analysis of the oil and filter content, pointing to a lot of plastic debris, is something that could be sourced from the timing chain guides. I'd start with that analysis.

·
Registered
219 Posts
When I read this thread, it reminded me of mine from a while ago.

I had a sound similar to yours a little weaker but it did, it only appeared with the engine warm and at the same rpm as you say.

Same symptoms, read my thread.

Camshaft chain noise R6 05

2010 R6 rattle sound

The second can also be interesting for you.

Returning to the thread, unfortunately I no longer have the videos or my r6, if you watch the last videos of the first video if you pay attention to the yellow r6 you will hear the same noise.

It is not known to what extent that sound is normal, but in many videos that I saw, (in which you can see the sound) they had that noise.

The question is someone is his r6 does not have it?

I regret not being able to help more, it does not go deeper, the bike worked well, and the sound did not go overboard in my case. I was about to go to a yamaha store, but in the end I let it be.

In this video, I comment on people from the forum, including me. There are people who say that it is normal, and others that it is a problem.

You can go to a Yamaha store to request a diagnosis, they are supposed to know the engine perfectly

Regards.

·
Registered
219 Posts
In these videos, if you look, you can hear the sound. But not as noticeable as yours, the microphone is not next to the engine.

From time 3:18 you can see.

In this you can see less, from time 6:14

I do not want to convince, but they have that sound as you can see many R6's

I do not know if I would dare to say that it is a normal noise, as I said I can not help you anymore, if you are not convinced, go to a Yamaha store to ask for a diagnosis. If you do, remember us, and tell us the answer.

Regards.

P.S: I have used the headphones of my smartphone, to listen to the videos, I suppose that if you use speakers you have to hear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the whole engine, the timing chain and the chain tensioner are perfect, they don't eat a gram of oil, the engine pulls exactly the same..I think it's normal

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
In these videos, if you look, you can hear the sound. But not as noticeable as yours, the microphone is not next to the engine.

From time 3:18 you can see.

In this you can see less, from time 6:14

I do not want to convince, but they have that sound as you can see many R6's

I do not know if I would dare to say that it is a normal noise, as I said I can not help you anymore, if you are not convinced, go to a Yamaha store to ask for a diagnosis. If you do, remember us, and tell us the answer.

Regards.

P.S: I have used the headphones of my smartphone, to listen to the videos, I suppose that if you use speakers you have to hear.
Also I don't recall seeing it mentioned but it could be loose exhaust valve plates on the header (part of the forced air induction system) they are supposed to have thread lock but 3 of the 4 of mine did not have thread lock any longer and one plate had just enough room to rattle.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Also I don't recall seeing it mentioned but it could be loose exhaust valve plates on the header (part of the forced air induction system) they are supposed to have thread lock but 3 of the 4 of mine did not have thread lock any longer and one plate had just enough room to rattle.
I doubt that this is the problem, the noise would have to come from the top of the engine, and a much higher and metallic sound would be different.

As you can see in the videos, that sound is there, I do not know if I dare say that it is normal. But who doesn't have that noise?

Regards.

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
Idk I've found the r6 has like 3 different ticks and none of them are like hugely problematic, just a chance to make other upgrades lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts