Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a 2005 R6 today. Going to use this as a journal to track my track build.

I got this bike at a great price. On the way so far is some beat up fairings from eBay, Stomp Grips, and Woodcraft sliders. I'm doing this as cheap as possible for now but will eventually, at some point, turn it into a full blown track bike with all the goodies.

Attachments

·
2005 R6
65 Posts
Nice, got a 2005 myself. You'll love the tank grips, they help a lot. I'm debating keeping this R6 for street use and getting an 08+ for the track. I hear they just have better geometry and factory suspension, and front tire digs harder into the pavement

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, got a 2005 myself. You'll love the tank grips, they help a lot. I'm debating keeping this R6 for street use and getting an 08+ for the track. I hear they just have better geometry and factory suspension, and front tire digs harder into the pavement
Thanks, I just took the bike to the track as is and it performed great. Other than putting some air into to rear tire, it did excellent. The 05 so far is a great platform for me. I'll never be able to outperform the abilities of this bike. Still getting my skills up to par and learning better technique everytime I go out to the track. I'll be doing suspension tuning on my next ride out to Chuckwalla!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Quick update, here's what's been done so far:

10/14/17 Maintenance 23,400 miles
- oil change, oil filter change. Oil looked like it hasn't been changed in a while. Sent a sample to Blackstone Analysis. Hopefully I get a good report back on the oil.
- Rear brake fluid was crazy old. Front looked ok. I changed both front and rear fluids.

10/19/17 - Track Day at Apex Racing
- 24 miles at the track. Bike did great.
- Rear tire (Dunlop Q3) was at 10 lbs. Brought up to 30 psi. Front at 32 psi.

10/21/17 Maintenance
- Chain, cleaned and lubed.
- Woodcraft frame sliders installed.
- OEM mid and low fairings installed. Need to order better fairing bolts
- Stompgrips added to tank

Here's how she sits now. Word of advice, do not order the shitty Ebay fairing bolt kits. Cheap aluminum. They're horrible. I had multiple bolts snap on me at a really low torque. Had to extract the bolts, what a pain. You pay for what you get.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil was changed!

Well, I guess the owner was telling the truth. He did change the oil.

Here's my report from Blackstone Laboratories. It's a great way to check the health of oil and engine. In my case, I have no idea what this motor has gone through for its 23k miles. I guess I'll need to ride it a bit and send a new sample in for a longer term analysis.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pirelli Diablo Superbike Pro slicks installed front and rear! Ready for Chuckwalla this Friday! Going to get suspension setup there and take this thing around the track.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Nice! :cheers
I've been riding my wife's 05 a lot lately and it's really improved my appreciation for it. We didn't even do a whole lot of upgrades but it's still an excellent track bike.

·
FJR eats the R6
22 Posts
In getting the bike prepped for next summer, pulled the forks apart to change the seals and fork oil, guess what... both tubes slightly bent... $200 worth of ebay forks later, front end is all sorted out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took advantage of a Dunlop rebate on Q3 + tires. Big difference from the Pirellis's that came on the bike with a 2005 date code
That rebate is excellent. I got a brand new set for my VFR800 when I had it in August. What a great value, plus the Q3s are mad sticky!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My view on Friday. Vid to come up soon. This was my first big track day. Chuckwalla is almost 3 miles long per lap. Prior to this, I've been going to Apex Racing Track in Perris, CA. A freaking amazing go kart track that helped me to learn and understand everything about riding techniques like body position, line selection, braking, vision, everything... To be honest, the go kart track was way harder!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Getting ready for another track day. This time Apex Racing in Perris, CA. This is a go kart track. Super technical and great for skill building.

Things I need for the bike were apparent when I took it to Chuckwalla. Must haves: clear OEM windscreen and tire warmers. Also got a fender for damn cheap on eBay since I never had one.

Clear ass windscreen to look through when I'm going full blast

Suzuka tire warmers since I was no where close to being at optimum temp after each session. Gotta extend the cycle time and life of the tires too.

Fender so I'm not throwing pebbles into my face

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Losing weight...

I decided to take some unnecessary parts off the bike. Specifically, taillights and headlights. And so that I don't have two giant holes at the front fairing, I bought two things to use today

Damn these are cheap, made it easy to fiberglass these in

So, the plan? Combine the two above and create a non-eyeless front fairing when flying down the track. Aesthetics FTW

Front fairing off

Lens covers taped onto fairing

Fiberglassed

After about 3 hours, I cleaned up and extra fibers hanging off

What it looks like now, tape removed, ready to reinstall on the bike

And of course, last but not least, an empty ass...

I'm going to let the fiberglass cure overnight before installing. Update coming soon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts