Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Yamaha r6 that’s just randomly started dying when parked. Had to jump my battery in order to start it for a day. Started as soon as it got jumped every time. Went to the auto parts store got a brand new battery and it still won’t start. Same night went and got spark plugs out them in everything back together and still nothing. It’s getting spark, and has compression. Checked if it was getting spark by grounding spark plug to the frame and it sparked. When I turn the key on I hear the fuel pump turn on and cycle the fuel through. It’s got new gas in it and it’s full. Honestly I’m not sure what’s wrong with it. Would love any help as to what my problem is. I believe it’s a fuel problem but I’m not sure what it is. As I said it’s getting spark, and compression. Fuel pump is turning on a cycling so don’t think it’s that either. Honestly just confused on what it couldn’t be. Please help haha

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Service manual has details on diag-mode, where you can check for codes and test components. If you have a no-crank problem even with a new battery, not unusual to get a battery that sat on the shelf too long. Take a volt meter with you to every battery purchase and read it before it's charged. If they won't allow you to check it before charge, find another store. THe battery manufacturers specify that the retailer is to periodically pull the battery off the shelf to recharge it. It should not be allowed to get low.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Auto part Electrical wiring

Electrical wiring Cable Gas Auto part Electrical supply

Circuit component Passive circuit component Rectangle Bumper Electronic component

Under your seat lives the voltage regulator, it looks like a big metal heat sink, check that the wires going into it or terminals on it are not corroded, take a voltmeter and measure the voltage on the battery terminals when revving the bike up to 5k rpm, you should see around 14v, if not either the wires to the regulator are toast, the regulator itself is toast or the stator is shot, if the wires are melted you should change them with large guage wires and clean the terminals to see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my bike won’t fully turn over. I had it where it turned on when a spayed a little bit of starting fluid in it but wouldn’t hold idle.

·
Registered
2008 Yellow Flame R6R
59 Posts
Test your fuel pressure with an inline gauge. It should be around 50 psig give or take a few. You can rent a fuel pressure gauge tester at an auto parts store.

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
174 Posts
Check all intake and AIS passages to make sure there aren't any dead critters or garter snakes (seriously)
Check the regulator-rectifier connectors and wiring
As mentioned above, check fuel pressure and fuel lines for debris
Check the throttle bodies to make sure all gaps & holes are clear and clean

Besides that, it takes first hand look to be able to advise any further.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts