Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my problem is my bike sat for 2 years after being wrecked I replaced the wiring harness because is was broken everything is hooked back up I drained the fuel and took the injectors out and tested and cleaned them put new fuel in the tank now when I try to start it it’s getting way to much fuel and to the point it shoots out of the exhaust And sounds all jacked up as if it’s misfiring/flooded but if I unhook the tank and use starting fluid it runs great and sounds as it should any ideas would help a lot thanks

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
If it's missing, that's raw unburnt fuel; some ending up in your crankcase, some in the exhaust. Not surprising it's combusting in the exhaust.
Need to enter diagnostic mode and verify that you're getting a consistent spark on all cylinders. Use a spark gap tester. Test for maximum reliable gap at each cylinder. Maximum reliable gap, is the gap at which the coil fires with 100% consistency. If you have an outlier, that coil is suspect. To eliminate the wire harness, ECU, rotate your coils over the wires.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
991 Posts
What is Intuits method of inline testing COP?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Keep increasing the spark gap until the plug begins to fire inconsistently. Then reduce gap back to where it's 100% consistent again. That is maximum reliable gap.
Repeat with all coils on all cylinders.
If you have one that becomes unreliable at a significantly smaller gap, that is the outlier, and may be responsible for the engine miss.
But how do you know it's the coil and not the wire harness, or the ECU? Simply move the coil to a different cylinder/wire and retest. Move a "good" coil to the cylinder where the "bad" coil originally failed and retest. If moving them around has no impact on the coil, then you know it's the coil. If the problem instead stays with the cylinder, then you know that it's the wire harness and/or ECU.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
991 Posts
For accuracy, you need to know how it sparks under compression.. a weak ass coil or igniter can work fine in free air then put her in the hole and nothing.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Exactly. That's why the gap tester is used instead of a spark plug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts