Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2005 R6 and have some noise coming from the front over large bumps, rough roads. I haven't had a chance to actually look into what could be causing this, but I figured I would see if it's "normal." My CBR F3 used to make a similar noise, but my 08 R6V never made a sound.

The sound is similar to plastic hitting metal. It's only when the suspension is jarred or forced to oscillate a lot. I just hope it's not in the forks themselves.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Front fender
Steering head bearings
Mis-alignment in the triple...re-align

Id start with those?

Subbed for what you find...Good luck...:cheers

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Front fender
Steering head bearings
Mis-alignment in the triple...re-align

Id start with those?

Subbed for what you find...Good luck...:cheers
Thanks. I don't think it's the triple as the bike has no evidence of a lay down or crash, but the front fender seems very plausible. I will pull up on the suspension to check the bearings. I'll be working on her on Sunday, so hopefully I will find it. It still has the stocker blinkers up front and they make a little noise if you pluck at them with your hand....but they don't seem as loud as what I am hearing over the exhaust, helmet, road noise, etc...

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,899 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about...and my bike did the same thing (you didn't get my old bike did you??! :laugh)

Try tightening the big silver nut on the top triple tree...it may be loose. If that's not it, try lifting the front of the bike (you have a front stand right?) and roll/jiggle the wheel forward and back. It may be the brake pads jiggling in the calipers.

Other than that...I dunno really. :dunce:

·
My ZX6R ate my R6!
730 Posts
Just wondering, are there xenons installed? After I installed mine I forgot to tape my ballasts in place and was getting terrible rattling over bumps and such

·
Registered
29 Posts
brake rotor with worn rivets?

fairing stay loose?

horn bracket?

try placing your hand on various parts of the bike while it is consistently making the noise. when the noise stops, you've isolated the problem area. if it does't stop when you touch any of the plastics, you can move on the the suspension/hard parts.

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I finally got to work on the bike last weekend and had all the front fairings off except for the headlight pieces. When test riding it after doing all my flushes the noise was gone. I am thinking that it was the turn signals bouncing around over rough roads. The only other thing I changed was the brake lines and it surely wasn't that as they were all very secure.

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,899 Posts
Ok, I finally got to work on the bike last weekend and had all the front fairings off except for the headlight pieces. When test riding it after doing all my flushes the noise was gone. I am thinking that it was the turn signals bouncing around over rough roads. The only other thing I changed was the brake lines and it surely wasn't that as they were all very secure.
Yeah, man...those stockers can flabble all over the place goin' highway speeds! I never knew they did it on mine until a friend, who was driving along beside me, heading to the same place, told me that they flapped. I was like :wtf

...and got some flushies post haste!

Once again, however, I'm sportin' the stockers on my new bike...simply because I'm too poor at the moment to justify flushmounts when the ones on there work just fine...never mind the fact that I don't really use them much... :sing

·
Insert nonsense here
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Duuuuuude you can get the cheap ebay ones for next to nothing and they work perfect. I sported them on the 08 and I think the ones I just put on the 05 are the same style.

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,899 Posts
Duuuuuude you can get the cheap ebay ones for next to nothing and they work perfect. I sported them on the 08 and I think the ones I just put on the 05 are the same style.
I know...that's what I got for the R6...a set of $30 eBay specials, and I sported those until I got rid of the bike. They did their job fine, and I'd do it again, but I really want some of those Watsen Design lights...so I'm biding my time. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts