Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all,

I've run into an issue with my 2005 Yamaha R6 YZF where the bike heats up while riding on regular streets. Fans kick in at 214 degrees, cools down right after. If I allow the bike to reach the 214 degree mark more than 3 times and I turn the bike off I won't be able to restart with out giving it a boost.

I drained the radiator already and added new fluids but it continues. Has anyone gone through this issue before or does anyone have any idea why the bike drains the battery after heating up more than 3 times?

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
100 Posts
Check the thermostat.
My fan kicks in at 212. When you turn the power off, the temperature keeps climbing up, sometimes up to 240, because there is no moving air to cool things down. But your case seems abnormal. Start with the thermostat. Flush the system completely with distilled water a few times back-to-back until you get clear fluid out, and then refill the radiator. It's possible that there is gunk stuck in it somewhere.
Other reasons could be wrong spark plugs, wrong oil, radiator fan (one or both) not working, coolant pipes kinked or clogged, etc.

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
100 Posts
Oh, an since it's a 16 year old bike, who knows - perhaps the coolant was never changed in all those 16 years! Any exterior pipes or hoses can be replaced. Also check the water pump. Maybe even replace it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the thermostat.
My fan kicks in at 212. When you turn the power off, the temperature keeps climbing up, sometimes up to 240, because there is no moving air to cool things down. But your case seems abnormal. Start with the thermostat. Flush the system completely with distilled water a few times back-to-back until you get clear fluid out, and then refill the radiator. It's possible that there is gunk stuck in it somewhere.
Other reasons could be wrong spark plugs, wrong oil, radiator fan (one or both) not working, coolant pipes kinked or clogged, etc.
I've flushed the whole system down with distilled water and fan seems to be going on when the temp goes up. Will have to check the thermostat to make sure it's working properly. Thank you for this information!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts