Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys,

I've got a 2005 R6. Back in June I had a bad lowside and completely demolished the front end (telephone pole). Since then, I have replaced the forks, lower triple tree, front wheel, and axle. When I finished and put the front tire on the ground, the handlebars were completely straight and the front wheel was pointing to the left. The front wheel also did not spin freely and was very difficult to rotate in the air and on the ground. I'm at a loss at this point but I fear the neck of the frame where the steering stem goes in may be bent. If anybody has any idea what may be going on your input would be greatly appreciated. I'm also open to any shop references that could potentially do frame work. I am in North Carolina and would be willing to travel to Virginia, South Carolina or Tennessee. Thanks a lot!

Cody

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Were the replacement parts used? Is it possible any of them are bent? What you describe sounds like a bent triple or forks. Are the forks set at the same height in the triple clamps?

If the neck were bent, I'd think the whole front end would be pointed the wrong way, rather than bars and the wheel pointed in different directions.

·
I ride my wife and her R6
101 Posts
This is a link with a how to for aligning the front end. It is from the Gixxer forum, but I have used this technique on my wife's 03 R6 and my 06 GSXR's as well.

The 05 R6 has a very similar fork setup as the 06 GSXR. Give it a shot, I promise if you do it as instructed it will work provided your parts are all straight. Best of luck.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475290&highlight=wheel+alignment

Quoted from Moto_Joe:

In addition to brake bleeding and caliper cleaning, many brake issues are from misalignment of the front end.

This is going to be based off the 06+ 600 "axle and bolt" style axle setup. Other styles will vary a little.

You will need a steering stem lift stand or another way to lift front end without pressure on the forks.

Alignment starts with fork alignment vertically. Remove the front wheel. Using the axle as a guide pin, move the right fork up or down in the triples until the two forks are aligned perfectly vertically so that the axle slides in smoothly. This later will allow the left fork to self align on the axle.

Torque top and bottom triple pinch bolts once aligned.

Set and torque clipons once aligned.

Note: the fork heights as viewed at the caps/ top triple may look uneven. This is due to slight variations in the internal assembled fork lengths.

Now install front wheel and axle. Using axle holder hex tool and torque wrench, torque axle and bolt to spec.

Install calipers, torque to spec, pump up brakes.

Drop front end off stand, and while holding brakes bounce front forks a few times. This sets the left forks position on the axle.

Lift bike back up

Check axle torque

Torque left pinch bolts. (on the 05 R6 do the right first as the axle goes in from the opposite side on the 05 R6)

Torque right pinch bolts. (then the left)

Spin front wheel and be amazed at how free front wheel spins.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The forks I purchased from WERA. Appearance wise they are perfectly straight and I trust the seller. Lower triple was brand new. I removed the upper triple and placed it on a level surface and could not see any noticeable gaps. Obviously not the best method but it seemed to be fine. The forks are also flush in the clamps. I called Precision Motorycle in VA Beach to see if they had any suggestions. The service advisor was convinced that I had tweaked the frame. I will definitely try to align the front end. I had considered it may be as simple as that but of course assumed the worst. I'll see what I can come up with!

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
The forks I purchased from WERA. Appearance wise they are perfectly straight and I trust the seller. Lower triple was brand new. I removed the upper triple and placed it on a level surface and could not see any noticeable gaps. Obviously not the best method but it seemed to be fine. The forks are also flush in the clamps. I called Precision Motorycle in VA Beach to see if they had any suggestions. The service advisor was convinced that I had tweaked the frame. I will definitely try to align the front end. I had considered it may be as simple as that but of course assumed the worst. I'll see what I can come up with!
How far off is the front wheel? Have you tried riding the bike? Does it track straight? If it looks just a little off (like 1-3*) and rides straight, maybe it's just the bodywork or front fender giving you the illusion that things are crooked?

I've heard many suggestions of using a glass table top to check to see if triples are straight - so I'd bet it's not your top.

I'm trying to work out in my head how a bend in the frame could result in the wheel being off-kilter when the bars are straight, and it just doesn't make sense to me. Unless I'm somehow totally mis-understanding how the front-end attaches to the frame, it doesn't seem possible. It'd rotate the whole front-end as a unit if the neck were bent.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How far off is the front wheel? Have you tried riding the bike? Does it track straight? If it looks just a little off (like 1-3*) and rides straight, maybe it's just the bodywork or front fender giving you the illusion that things are crooked?

I've heard many suggestions of using a glass table top to check to see if triples are straight - so I'd bet it's not your top.

I'm trying to work out in my head how a bend in the frame could result in the wheel being off-kilter when the bars are straight, and it just doesn't make sense to me. Unless I'm somehow totally mis-understanding how the front-end attaches to the frame, it doesn't seem possible. It'd rotate the whole front-end as a unit if the neck were bent.

I wish I had taken a picture of it. The front wheel is absolutely pointing to the left. Handlebars totally straight. If it gives you somewhat of an idea, I can turn the bars to the right until they're nearly touching the tank (less than a finger of space) and to the left I can fit three fingers in between the grip and tank. I have not tried riding it due to the lack of front wheel spin, which I think may be due to incorrect installation of the spacers after installing new wheel bearings (front axle is not flush with right fork as it was before the crash). I see what you're saying though, you'd think the entire front end would be tweaked to the left. Very frustrating.

·
I ride my wife and her R6
101 Posts
Is it possible the clipons are not aligned properly?
Do you have aftermarket clipons? They can be tricky to align.
What about the preload settings, are they the same on each fork?

Take a few pictures, I need to see this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it possible the clipons are not aligned properly?
Do you have aftermarket clipons? They can be tricky to align.
What about the preload settings, are they the same on each fork?

Take a few pictures, I need to see this.
Factory clipons. Only one way they can go on really. Have not checked preload, all but gave up after all this happened. I'm in school in Greenville and I have the bike parked at a buddy's house at home. I'll try to get pics ASAP. Need to get this thing back right!

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Did you replace the steering stem and lower clamp as a whole unit? Just wondering if it's possible the stem may be bent. It kind of sounds like the upper and lower clamp are significantly out of alignment. Did you use a torque wrench on the steering stem nut? Over tightening that can cause binding.

Before even mounting the wheel, get the forks aligned so the axle can completely slide in by itself. If it can't do that then something is already wrong.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you replace the steering stem and lower clamp as a whole unit? Just wondering if it's possible the stem may be bent. It kind of sounds like the upper and lower clamp are significantly out of alignment. Did you use a torque wrench on the steering stem nut? Over tightening that can cause binding.

Before even mounting the wheel, get the forks aligned so the axle can completely slide in by itself. If it can't do that then something is already wrong.
Yes the lower clamp and stem came as a whole. Did not torque the steering stem nut, hand tightened to German spec, which I still thought may have been too tight. But tight enough to cock the whole wheel sideways? Before I mounted the wheel I visually aligned the forks and they were near perfect. I know that's not truly aligning them, but they were in straight and everything seemed fine.

·
Just lean harder...
888 Posts
PM sent.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I've seen this a few times. It sounds like you assembled the forks and twisted them in the clamps before you tightened them. Pretty common.
You can raise the front with a tripple stand and loosen the forks, hold the wheel between your knees and straighten the handdle bars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've seen this a few times. It sounds like you assembled the forks and twisted them in the clamps before you tightened them. Pretty common.
You can raise the front with a tripple stand and loosen the forks, hold the wheel between your knees and straighten the handdle bars.
When you say tighten/loosen them, you mean the pinch bolts on the lower triple?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts