Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, I just bought a 2006 R6 3 days ago. I've been looking up various things about it, and ran into a few threads about the 2006 engine having sudden failure, whether at 3,000 miles or 15,000 miles, regardless of track\stunted\pushed hard\perfect oil changes, etc.

Now, I feel paranoid and scared. I love my R6 after moving up from a 250 it's a world of a difference, but I feel like the next ride could be the last ride anytime I take it out now.. it has 7k miles btw.

Is this an issue that has happened to MANY MANY R6 motorcycles or is it just a select few that gained high publicity and made it seem like a lot more were defective than there really were?

Do you think I should be scared to the point of selling it and switching to another bike? I don't wheelie and I'm really good with keeping up with maintenance such as oil changes. Is there a high chance I'll be okay.. or should I get rid of it? I really like the bike. Thanks ahead of time, and it's great to join you all.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
personally know a lot of guys with a 06 and 07 both known for spinning rod and crank journal bearings due to a poor designed oiling system(low psi at idle) and clearance issue. but not one of them has had one blow up on the street.
it was mostly race bikes that were blowing up. and there was a ton of them. but there was quite a bit of them blow up on the street as well. but I have never personally seen one or know anyone who did.
I've heard the trick is to not leave it idle for more than 10 seconds without revving the engine a few times to boost oil psi.

but it's enough reason for me not to consider a purchase of one even for the perfect price

·
pin it to win it
8,087 Posts
Your ok. Yes some spun bearings but way more are just fine. If you really freak out just get new tighter crank bearings installed to boost oil psi. From what I understand the ones that messed up messed up early on in their life

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

Your ok. Yes some spun bearings but way more are just fine. If you really freak out just get new tighter crank bearings installed to boost oil psi. From what I understand the ones that messed up messed up early on in their life
Could you give me a rough estimate on how much tighter crank bearings would cost?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts