Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will 06 R6 headers fit an 08 R6s motor?

Friend dropped his new bike off at my house 2006 YZF-R6. He picked it up on a trade with a 07 ZX-6R. The R6 is in pieces and I’m putting it together. Previous owner said the motor blew but there is a new motor mounted. I don’t know what year or model the new motor is I think it might be an 08 R6s. I’m having a tough time attaching the headers from the original motor to this one. My question is will the 06 YZF-R6 headers fit an 08 R6s? And would a 08 R6s motor even mount up to the 06 R6 frame? I am not sure what engine this even is but the stator plug is different than the original 06 R6 and I’ve needed to order a new stator.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,510 Posts
Post a picture of the clutch cover. Sounds like fitting the exhaust may be the least of your issues. You need to start by identifying the engine.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,510 Posts
That is an R6S engine. Not the right one for an R6. That’s why your upper mounting points don’t line up

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,510 Posts
Yeah. You need the right engine. The ecu and electrical system aren’t the same to make that engine work

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah. You need the right engine. The ecu and electrical system aren’t the same to make that engine work
Would a 2003 r6 ecu plug into the 06 r6 harness and make the R6s motor run? Because isn’t the 03 r6 motor the same motor that’s in this generation r6s? All of the plugs on the motor fit.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,510 Posts
How are you gonna get the fly by wire throttle bodies to work using an 03 ECU? Are you gonna just leave it to the long flexy rear engine bolts to deal with the rotational and torsional forces the engine with create? What about the chassis forces? That engine is a stressed member of the frame. Those upper mounts are important. And just fabbing up a bracket won’t be rigid enough.

DUDE. You need to get the right engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How are you gonna get the fly by wire throttle bodies to work using an 03 ECU? Are you gonna just leave it to the long flexy rear engine bolts to deal with the rotational and torsional forces the engine with create? What about the chassis forces? That engine is a stressed member of the frame. Those upper mounts are important. And just fabbing up a bracket won’t be rigid enough.

DUDE. You need to get the right engine.
Dang true I’m just spitballing tryna figure something out to help my friend. He didn’t even ask me before doing the trade and I feel like he totally got scammed now.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,510 Posts
Dang true I’m just spitballing tryna figure something out to help my friend. He didn’t even ask me before doing the trade and I feel like he totally got scammed now.
probably bought from someone who didn’t know any difference and he obviously didn’t know there are two different models.

The engine is still worth selling to cut his losses. But one thing I would check: remove the sprocket cover and see if there is a glob of JB Weld, or if the case has been welded at about 10 o’clock as you look at the sprocket. That would mean it had lost a chain or sprocket nut and put a hole in the case. Or if the sprocket has been welded on. These make the engine almost worthless except for parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts