Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
BrotherHardknock
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here we go. my bike 2006 r6 50th anniversary blahblahblah. owned it for 5 years now with 21,000 miles totals 13,000 of those miles are track miles i'm a A group rider. 7 or 8 mos ago the bike started overheating and overflowing the bottle about the 5th sessions of a trackday. i live in arizona, it's september, kind of a hot day high 80's mid 90's? figured it was just to hot called it a day. flushed the coolant system put in fresh water wetter etc.

next trackday a month later 3 or 4 sessions in the bike starts overheating/overflowing again temps 235 to 240. get it home pulled the pump cover off to check the paddle for damage and operation everything good. for the grins and giggles i replaced the thermostat, radiator cap, flushed the system several times etc. problem seem to be fixed.

now 3 trackdays after the fix with no problems the bike starts overheating again but only after i get off the track. normally my track temp range between 206 to 223 fans come on about 217. but as soon as i'm in the pits, temps get as high as 235 to 240 then it starts overheating/overflowing. i let the bike set 45 minutes or so replace fluids go back on the track bike running fine sessions is over, bike temps about 221 fans running as i'm heading into the pits. put the side stand down take a seat and the bike starts overheating/overflowing. turned the bike on temp is about 240 and temp light symbol is glowing. so now i'm stumped? my buddy says it sounds like a bad radiator? i'm thinking it's the only think i haven't change or should i just use the money and have a shop check it out to be certain? any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
you need to pressure check the cooling system.
I would not run straight water/water wetter in a cooling system. I would use a low concentration of gylcol (maybe 10-20%) to keep it thermally stable at the very least. Also check that oil cooler on the front of the motor.

Does the bike puff white smoke under hard acceleration? Could be a bad head gasket too. Doesn't take much for the cylinder pressure to elevate the coolant temp if its bad.

Do you see oil rings in the coolant by chance?

·
BrotherHardknock
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no puffing, no oil in the coolant, no coolant in the oil when i change that. other than the overheating/overflowing once the bike is parked, it runs like a champ. i've come to find out that a racer friend is a actual motorcycle mechanic and he's willing to check out my bike and help with the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts