Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
REPLACED: 2006 R6 - Possible rear shock leak/ blown?

So I've been on my (new to me) R6 for about 3 rides now since owning it. Haven't taken it anywhere near it's real potential (as just ridden on the streets). I parked the bike the other night, and when I came home after leaving the bike about 24 hours I notice a small pool beneath the REAR of the bike... I hope I'm posting this in the right section I do apologize if not..

Untitled by kijho66, on Flickr

Upon further inspection, it seems to have dripped from the rear shock lower part?

Here's a shot I took of the shock itself. You can see it's a bit wet/sweating INSIDE the actual shock, but only on the bottom.

Took the bike out for a quick ride, stopped and watched. 1 little drip came down..

It does NOT smell or feel like typical oil or coolant.

Anybody have any thoughts on this, any feedback would be much appreciated! If I need to have the shock replaced or repaired, I'll most likely be bringing it into the local shop here. Part of me seems to think perhaps some dirt/mud/water got caught up in the shock (It's still winter here and the back alley is not paved so I ride thru the dirt/mud/slush to park in the garage.) Perhaps got stuck - Then overnight it fell to 0*C below maybe slightly frozen, then in the day warmed up and the water dripped down?

~ Cheers & thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Could be water from an exhaust leak from near the header/muffler connection, but if it's oil, it may well be a blown seal on the shock.

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but I imagine if you adjust the rebound/compression damping clickers full in and full out and there is no difference in the rebound of the bikes rear, then there is no oil left to dampen and you've got a substantial leak.

The next step is dependent on what you want to do with the bike and how much you want to work on it. If you feel capable of pulling the shock off the bike, I would download a service manual and buy a used stock shock off the forum or ebay (can be had for ~$60) and replace it. You would run more in labor to fix the shock by disassemble, re-oil, and recharge with nitrogen. Another option would be to buy the used shock and take it to the shop to swap for you, but you're still going to be paying for a couple good hours worth of labor.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Definitely swap the shock yourself, if you're sure that's where the fluid is coming from. As said, they're cheap on ebay, and it takes half an hour if you know what you're doing, and maybe 3 hours if you're completely incompetent. ;)

That puddle looks like an awful lot of oil to come out of a shock though. I am very skeptical it's coming from there. If it is, I imagine it's doing very little damping.

Are you sure it's not coming from an overflow line somewhere?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Or just to make sure... Pull the fairings off and see if anything else is leaking. Like the other guy said. The oil overflow could be pushing the excess oil out. Wash the whole bike good and then ride it and check after that ride. Never blown a seal in my shocks yet so I couldn't tell you if that's what it looks like. But definitely but a used shock! Repairs are big$$$ where as a used is 60$ plus shipping. Installing is super easy if you have a jack and I think some 17mm sockets and or wrenches. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick update before I'm sleeping here but bike hasn't dripped anything all day sitting today or overnight last night!!

I DID do an oil change the day prior to finding this puddle. I put 2.9L of yamalube in. I read 2.8 is good.. The sip stick reads just at the maximum fill line. Maybe this has a relation??

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woke up this morning and there's been NO drips now since I discovered the above. Nothing!

1 - It was possibly just some water mixed with some residual oil from the recent oil change which somehow dripped down - OR perhaps mixed with some slight oil from the shock..

2 - Shock has NO oil left inside? *****....
I went for a ride last night and didn't even notice any difference in the feel going over bumps etc. What should I be looking for / monitoring now at this point?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Water from the exhaust's weep hole. Normal.
Do you think exhaust can drop THAT much moisture? I'm really leaning towards the rear shock.. thinking of ordering a replacement on ebay and either installing myself OR paying the local shop to install and while they do it they can check everything else..

·
m3lover2
10,527 Posts
That shock looks toast to me. Buy a used shock.. were talking $50... and be done with it

Or you are going to wait until the unthinkable happens?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Do you think exhaust can drop THAT much moisture? I'm really leaning towards the rear shock.. thinking of ordering a replacement on ebay and either installing myself OR paying the local shop to install and while they do it they can check everything else..
Yes I've seen that much drip out of my bike before. A lot of condensation builds in the exhaust system especially when you drive it on cool mornings.

I am making the assumption that this "puddle" eventually evaporates. If it doesn't, then of course it isn't water. Haven't really perused the entire thread so forgive me if that has been covered already.

·
Registered
380 Posts
That looks exactly like mine! I'd say pull the trigger.

Btw Intuit, if you look at one of the pics, you can see that he has the muffler box removed, any water coming out of the exhaust would be coming out the can

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I'll just order that R6 and swap it in, see if it drips any more fluid at all ..
Everything else seems good on the bike, other than the chain / front sprocket seems quite loud. The only way I can describe the sound is it sounds like a metal chain going thru a sprocket haha.. can hear it above the exhaust and helmet.

Also yup I have MJS header + Akrapovic slip.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think I'll just order that R6 and swap it in, see if it drips any more fluid at all ..
Everything else seems good on the bike, other than the chain / front sprocket seems quite loud. The only way I can describe the sound is it sounds like a metal chain going thru a sprocket haha.. can hear it above the exhaust and helmet.

Also yup I have MJS header + Akrapovic slip.

If you can hear your chain over that loud ass exhaust then you have a BIG problem!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What big problem ? I am thinking chain just is too loose and I need to pull the wheel back 1 notch possibly. It's got a rear aftermarket sprocket, same number of teeth however.

Rides smooth, accelerates perfect and feels fine in every possible way. Been up to cruising speeds and such never felt an issue!?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I feel about 2-3" slack right now but I have found several threads on here and people saying it's just a normal thing the R6 is quite noisy. I had a brand new Ninja 300' before so it was much quieter I'm sure..

This is an aftermarket gold chain I guess so maybe just a bit noisy!

Going to order up that red spring shock and install when it arrives. Gonna be cold next week so atleast I won't get too impatient haha

1 - 20 of 30 Posts