Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Track Only
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done two seasons of track days now (although only about 7-8 track days) and I'm hooked. I've taken the bike off the street already and now I'm starting my accumulation of parts. If you're interested in buying any stock parts, see my sale thread here: 06 R6v 50th parts for sale

Here is the before:

Bear with me, this is going to be a slow process. I need a raise at work.

Plans before March:
New Cam Chain/Tensioner
Smog Block-off - A.G.G.
Sprockets/chain - ??
Clip-ons - Renthal
Levers - Picked up some used Titax adjustables
Track fairings - Used...anyone?
Battery - Ballistic?
Rearsets? - woodcraft...drool

I'll buy used if possible, so if you have any of this stuff, feel free to offer it up!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
running ballistic performance batteries in my bikes for 3 seasons now. no issues. Get the 8-cell. the 1/2 lb more that it is vs the 4cell is way worth it for cranking power/reserve.
be very careful if you decide to instal the manual cam chain tensioner yourself. it's a good idea to use one, but you MUST plug the oil hole at the bottom of the slot it fits in that feeds the stock hydraulic one.. (jbweld).

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I would suggest some aftermarket clipons & get rid of switch gear you dont need.
vortex is blowing out adjustable rearsets for 1/2 price till 12/31

·
S1000rr
107 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
running ballistic performance batteries in my bikes for 3 seasons now. no issues. Get the 8-cell. the 1/2 lb more that it is vs the 4cell is way worth it for cranking power/reserve.
be very careful if you decide to instal the manual cam chain tensioner yourself. it's a good idea to use one, but you MUST plug the oil hole at the bottom of the slot it fits in that feeds the stock hydraulic one.. (jbweld).
My engine guy IIRC used the graves tensioner on mine so he didn't have to deal with blocking that oil passage?

http://www.gravesport.com/instructions/cmy-13r6-pct.pdf

I would suggest some aftermarket clipons & get rid of switch gear you dont need.
vortex is blowing out adjustable rearsets for 1/2 price till 12/31
details? My buddy is looking for a set right now.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
running ballistic performance batteries in my bikes for 3 seasons now. no issues.
Agreed, great battery and I work right next door to their manufacturing facility - our company trucks them as well. Lots of mid west racers use them (one works for Ballistic) and I've never heard of an issue.

·
Track Only
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input so far guys. My parts aren't exactly flying off the shelf right now but once I recover from Xmas, I should be able to start picking up a couple/few parts a month. I need to be ready to roll by mid march!

First step will be clip-ons and replace cam chain/tensioner.

I almost forgot about a flash! We've got a pretty damn good Yamaha shop here in town:

K&N Yamaha
6105 New Sapulpa Rd
Tulsa, OK 74131
http://www.knmotorcycles.com
(the owner was inducted into the AMA Hall of Fame last year and was a co-founder of K&N Air Filters).

I'll likely have them flash me, as they do an unlimited number of flashes deal and I hope to upgrade to a full exhaust perhaps mid-season.

I'll come back with some pics of the bike stripped down and the parts cleaned up soon.

If you all haven't seen yet, Facebook has an R6 parts for sale page. A guy sold me some adjustable levers off of there for $30. He said they came on the bike when he bought it used and all he could make out was the word "Titan" stamped on them. I googled it and could only come up with "Titan" as a color option of the ASV levers. When they arrived, I saw they said "Titax" and he misread. They are in great shape, so as far as I could tell, I got a pretty good deal. What a fun story!

Thanks guys,
Nick

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry to thread jack but you also asked this question, what is/if there is a best chain and sprocket, what would they be. Not the pitch or teeth, but brand, etc. thanks

·
Track Only
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, all. I haven't updated in a while, but here goes. As she sits:

Finally started moving some of my OEM parts and building a nice little PayPal bank. Unfortunately, I keep finding things that I can't pass up which has put the hurt on my fund. It'll keep building up though. I'm going to start driving Uber in addition to my FT job so I'll have a little extra income for bike parts.

Here's what I've added lately (purchased, nothing yet installed):
- Manual Cam Chain tensioner/cam chain
- Woodcraft clip-ons (minus bars...I may get the bars and sell the set to buy Renthals)
- PitBull head stand and rear stand
- A* Supertech R boots
- 7 gallon portable air tank
- Smog Block off plates
- Rear tire change tool (it's a pin that holds the brake/axle in line
- Shorai Lithium battery

I've reached the point of no return on my fairings, because they're half gone. So I'll be hustling to find some track fairings in time for the season. I may start a month late...who knows.

This week I'll be pulling the wheels for powdercoat, forks for a refresh and cleaning everything up. Next week I'll install the cam chain/tensioner.

Long ways to go in a short amount of time.

Nick

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
My .02 cents...skip the power coating on the wheels. Get your "must have" things knocked out first. Would really suck to miss a weekend at the track because you're waiting on your wheels to come back.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hey, all. I haven't updated in a while, but here goes. As she sits:

Finally started moving some of my OEM parts and building a nice little PayPal bank. Unfortunately, I keep finding things that I can't pass up which has put the hurt on my fund. It'll keep building up though. I'm going to start driving Uber in addition to my FT job so I'll have a little extra income for bike parts.

Here's what I've added lately (purchased, nothing yet installed):
- Manual Cam Chain tensioner/cam chain
- Woodcraft clip-ons (minus bars...I may get the bars and sell the set to buy Renthals)
- PitBull head stand and rear stand
- A* Supertech R boots
- 7 gallon portable air tank
- Smog Block off plates
- Rear tire change tool (it's a pin that holds the brake/axle in line
- Shorai Lithium battery

I've reached the point of no return on my fairings, because they're half gone. So I'll be hustling to find some track fairings in time for the season. I may start a month late...who knows.

This week I'll be pulling the wheels for powdercoat, forks for a refresh and cleaning everything up. Next week I'll install the cam chain/tensioner.

Long ways to go in a short amount of time.

Nick
I got a set of spare stock length bars from woodcraft. I'll sell em to you minus a % off from retail since they are brand new untouched.

They don't work for me since I needed the longer ones for the brake guards.

lemme know

·
Track Only
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I'm pulling this apart slowly as I have time. Made a little progress tonight.

Pulled the front end off. Expecting steering stem bearing and fork dust/oil seals within the next week. I also pulled the kickstand, which I'll rewire tomorrow. I sold my ignition today, so now that it's official I'll be wiring up an on/off ignition bypass.

While I have it apart, I think I'll pull the brake lines and take them to a local hose supply to get some steel braided lines cut.

Started on the Smog Block-off plates tonight.

I drained the oil so tomorrow will be cam chain and cam chain tensioner, plus valve adjustment. My mechanic (track day buddy) is coming over after work and we'll spend the evening wrenching before retiring inside for beer and the premier of Adam Carolla's Road Hard.

Fun times. These parts sure are expensive! Anybody want to donate?

Thanks for reading,

Nick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts