Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I drove my 2006 R6 today, and it's about 50 degrees. The bike took a little longer to start, but I thought (and still assume) it was because it's a cool day and I haven't riden it in like 5 days. I waited until my coolant got to 110F and drove like 2 miles to campus. Parked the bike, ran inside a building for 10 min, came back out and my bike doesn't start. It will crank over just fine, all the lights are normal. If I give the bike a little throttle, it starts right up. The second I let the throttle go to neutral, the bike shuts off. I tried a couple random things like shutting it down completely, shifting gears, but the only way I can get it to start and keep running is with some throttle. Now the battery is starting to get a little low and the alarm goes off, so I don't want to screw with it anymore.

I will adjust the throttle linkage by the front fork to tighten the throttle so hopefully it will just idle at about 2k (on the tach, I know it's off by like 10%) so I can at least get it home and off campus.

The person who owned the bike before me was a complete idiot, and wired a bunch of stuff on this bike. I have some LEDs, strobe lights and an alarm system that this guy did. When I bought the bike I had to buy a new battery, and I took the bike to Yamaha of Columbus to have them look at why the bright headlight wouldn't turn on. They said the idiot owner before did a half-A** job of installing the lights and alarm system, and they had to do some modifications to where this guy connected the alarm system/lights off the harness for the bright headlight. Do you think these could be related, the screwed up electrical wiring for the bells and whistles screwed with the throttle control system? Please let me know.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the idle to see if that helps?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As of right now i haven't tried anything. I'm going to grab some tools and go back to my bike. Would you be so kind as to give me directions to adjust that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So on Tuesday when I originally had this problem, I went back to my bike after about 3 hours of class and it fired right up. I've been driving it normally since then with no problems. Then today I fired it up, realized I forgot something so I shut it off and went back inside, and now it won't run without engaging the throttle. If I have the bike on, then engage the throttle slightly there is a quiet click that happens by the engine and it will start. Also, the alarm on my bike goes off when I'm on the starter, which was an indication of the battery being low.

Again, I think it has something to do with the wiring from the idiot who owned the bike before me. The dealer who did some work on it said the wiring harness for the bright light was pretty F'ed up from someone with little/no experience putting in the LEDs and strobe lights. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just ran the diagnostic on my bike, and I have two errors:

d61: 19, 22 (d62: 2 confirms I have two errors)

Looking at the service manual for the R6, it says code 19 is "Open circuit is detected in the input lead from the sidestand switch to the ECU." and 22 is "Air temperature sensor: open or short circuit detected."

Also, d09 (Fuel system voltage or battery voltage) is 11.1 instead of 12. Does that mean the battery is starting to go bad?

I won't have time to look at these problems anymore today or tomorrow, but if anyone can give me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts