Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 r6r race bike has an annoying problem. I figured I'd ask on here to see if anyone else has experienced a similar issue. First off the engine fires up and idles no problem when I first warm it up at the beginning of a race/track day. If I shut it down and try to immediately restart it it will not fire up unless I'm holding the throttle open a bit. Once its running it will die if I don't hold the throttle until I've ridden It for approx 100 yards or so at over 20-25mph. At that point when I pull in the clutch it will idle. If I'm just moving around the pits going to tech inspection etc. it will die if I'm not holding the throttle open. If the bike sits for awhile (over an hour) it will start up and idle on its own unless i shut it down and restart it again. The fueling above idle while its doing this feels/seems jerky. Otherwise it runs perfectly. As far as mods go the ECU is flashed (problem existed before the flash), PC3 with the generic Yosh full system map, Pipercross race air filter, full Yosh exhaust. Valve clearances are all within specification, brand new OE spark plugs just installed at the beginning of the race season. In diag mode in the instrument cluster the TPS is reading correctly at closed and wide open throttle. Any help would be much appreciated!

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
Symptom sounds like tight valve clearance. Has it been checked lately? On a race bike I would be checking at a minimum 1/2 the recommended interval. I used to do it every second race weekend on my FZR400's......but that's a whole 'nother thing

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Symptom sounds like tight valve clearance. Has it been checked lately? On a race bike I would be checking at a minimum 1/2 the recommended interval. I used to do it every second race weekend on my FZR400's......but that's a whole 'nother thing
This is what I was originally leaning towards but they are all in spec. The exhaust valves are on the tighter side but weren't out yet so I didn't bother pulling the cams to make the necessary shim changes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts