Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am wanting to do a fork oil change on my 06 since I doubt it's ever been changed before. I downloaded this video as a guide but have a few questions:

http://www.onthethrottle.com/product/yamaha-yzf-r6-fork-oil-change-howto-video-2008-2011/

The video says it's for the 2008-2011. I did a search and found that the only difference was that the newer forks are 10mm longer. I don't think this would make a difference in the procedure but just wanted to make sure.

Next thing is, what if I pour the oil out and the amount that comes out is different? The bike has 13k and the seals don't have any leaks or anything so I'd rather not spend the $ yet on getting the tools to completely take it apart and fill the oil to the spec in the manual.

Just fyi, the bike is only used for street riding, have no plans for the track at the moment, and I plan on using maxima 5wt.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advanced for any help/advice.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Easiest way for you to just change the oil, is to take the fork out, unscrew the cap (leaving the cap screwed onto the damping rod), then pour the oil into a measuring cup / graduated cylinder of some sort. Measure the amount you poured out, then measure out the same amount of fresh oil, and pour in the new oil.

If you dont want to take anything apart, I think that's about the only good/semi-accurate way to get your oil level back to correct.

Edit: Just watched the video. Just do what Moss did. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by the oil levels being different; different than the video, or different between the forks? Either way, just replace exactly what you poured out and you will be fine.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Do exactly that, pop off cap and pour out, put same amount in. I do it about 3 times a season to keep my track bike fresh. Really easy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just watched the video. Just do what Moss did. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by the oil levels being different; different than the video, or different between the forks? Either way, just replace exactly what you poured out and you will be fine.
Sorry, what I meant was what if the amount of oils are different between the forks. Then I won't have the peace of mind to know they are actually even.

But I understand what're saying. It's probably the closest I'll get without actually taking everything out and doing it from the start. Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
You should really do it right the first time and avoid doing it all twice. If your just going to drain it out of the top of the fork then putting the same back in will have to do but you are making the assumption that none has leaked out over the life of the bike. Either way your doing one fork at a time. Drain one and fill with how ever much came out and put it back together, same for the second.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should really do it right the first time and avoid doing it all twice. If your just going to drain it out of the top of the fork then putting the same back in will have to do but you are making the assumption that none has leaked out over the life of the bike. Either way your doing one fork at a time. Drain one and fill with how ever much came out and put it back together, same for the second.
Thanks, I'm starting to lean towards that way too. I'll look into getting the toolkit and see if I can borrow a front stand from someone. The one I have uses the fork so its useless for this.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks, I'm starting to lean towards that way too. I'll look into getting the toolkit and see if I can borrow a front stand from someone. The one I have uses the fork so its useless for this.
That's the route that I went. Local shops may do it for a similar price if you take them off the bike if you consider the cost of buying tools as well though. Also you don't need a front stem stand. I used a piece of wood and an automotive jack to lift under the header since I a fork stand as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts