Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought a stock 2006 R6s to build as a track bike. I used the bike for a few track days last year and would like to start making modifications before the season begins this year. My first priority is suspension, and second track fairings.

Can someone please explain to me what parts, if any, are interchangeable between the 2 versions of the 2006 R6? (I've always been #teamsuzuki so I'm trying to get familiar with what model yamaha works with what...but it's very frustrating).

Also, if anyone is selling parts that may be of use to me feel free to let me know.

I'm located in Toronto, Canada...thanks :toocool:

·
Registered
484 Posts
2005 R6 is slightly different than the 03/04 and R6S models; mainly regarding front forks, brake calipers, clipons, etc. as well as larger throttle bodies. However, as far as I know the R6S and 03/04 are essentially identical. 03 R1 is a different generation than 04/05 - not worth swapping anything over (unlike most Gixxers that share quite a bit over the generations).

Get fairings before spending a lot on suspension, unless you're getting it sprung for your weight and dialed in. Until you start getting into an Advanced rider pace then the extra money is better spent on track time. OEM suspension is more than capable of getting very fast times and aftermarket fork internals and shocks are really only valuable for shaving off those few extra seconds depending on the track. It won't do you much wonders at a Novice or even Intermediate pace; you really need to be on it to get the best of a $2500 suspension setup. This all depends on your pace though, not sure where you're at so I'm just assuming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2005 R6 is slightly different than the 03/04 and R6S models; mainly regarding front forks, brake calipers, clipons, etc. as well as larger throttle bodies. However, as far as I know the R6S and 03/04 are essentially identical. 03 R1 is a different generation than 04/05 - not worth swapping anything over (unlike most Gixxers that share quite a bit over the generations).

Get fairings before spending a lot on suspension, unless you're getting it sprung for your weight and dialed in. Until you start getting into an Advanced rider pace then the extra money is better spent on track time. OEM suspension is more than capable of getting very fast times and aftermarket fork internals and shocks are really only valuable for shaving off those few extra seconds depending on the track. It won't do you much wonders at a Novice or even Intermediate pace; you really need to be on it to get the best of a $2500 suspension setup. This all depends on your pace though, not sure where you're at so I'm just assuming.
Thanks! This is exactly the information I was looking for. After posting my thread I searched the forum and found a few similar posts from the past and the answers were similar to what you said. When looking for parts I will look for parts from the 03/04 model unless it specifically says for '06 R6s.

My main reason for dealing with suspension first is because the bike needs fork seals replaced currently. While I'm doing that, I might as well get the front forks re-built. I've been quoted $350 to rebuild the OEM forks so I think I'll just do that for now. If I can find a used Ohlins rear shock that's a bonus but I won't spend the money on a new one.

I'm not new to the track, having been doing track days since 2008. I still ride beginner group and occasionally intermediate. I'm still struggling to find my comfort level with the R6 compared to the gsxr on the track, but I think that's partly due to the lack of front suspension on the R6 currently.

I'm looking into the Optimal Racing fairings. I saw a post on this forum that said they matched up pretty good and were decent.

Thanks for the taking the time to respond.

·
nova r6
3,228 Posts
Thanks! This is exactly the information I was looking for. After posting my thread I searched the forum and found a few similar posts from the past and the answers were similar to what you said. When looking for parts I will look for parts from the 03/04 model unless it specifically says for '06 R6s.

My main reason for dealing with suspension first is because the bike needs fork seals replaced currently. While I'm doing that, I might as well get the front forks re-built. I've been quoted $350 to rebuild the OEM forks so I think I'll just do that for now. If I can find a used Ohlins rear shock that's a bonus but I won't spend the money on a new one.

I'm not new to the track, having been doing track days since 2008. I still ride beginner group and occasionally intermediate. I'm still struggling to find my comfort level with the R6 compared to the gsxr on the track, but I think that's partly due to the lack of front suspension on the R6 currently.

I'm looking into the Optimal Racing fairings. I saw a post on this forum that said they matched up pretty good and were decent.

For inexpensive suspension upgrades especially since you need seals anyway, checkout racetechs suspension options they sell springs, gold valve kits for compression and rebound, and shock gold valve kits. Thats what I have in my 05 front and rear and I'm upper intermediate slower advanced depending on the trackday group and the bike feels great with their components.

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Yamaha/YZF-R6S/2006-09

·
Meh
9,250 Posts

I say just do the seals yourself and put fresh oil in the forks. If the spring rate is WAY off, maybe replace them, but for your pace, that suspension money is going to be way more fruitful if you spend it on track time and tires.

Put a dozen track days on it, then you'll be due for new oil again, and you'll probably be going fast enough that upgrading the suspension will be a meaningful improvement.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Was it $350 to just replace the fork seals? What does the "rebuild" actually include? There are some places out there that will replace/tune valving and change the spring if needed. Some places will just charge out the ass for new fluid and fork seals. Know exactly what you are getting before you shell out the cash.

I say just do the seals yourself and put fresh oil in the forks. If the spring rate is WAY off, maybe replace them, but for your pace, that suspension money is going to be way more fruitful if you spend it on track time and tires.

Put a dozen track days on it, then you'll be due for new oil again, and you'll probably be going fast enough that upgrading the suspension will be a meaningful improvement.
This right here. Fork seals aren't hard when you have the correct tools. And then you can service them yourself after every season without having to pay someone else to do it. Only the cost of new fluid. You'll also have the tools to do an upgrade yourself when the time comes.

Please use the search function. The question you posted has been asked a million times over and can easily be answered with a simple google search or even wikipedia.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts