Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I am from the 1000rr.net forum under the same name, schillrw. I went to the track (Summit Point) for the first time last month and after one trip I decided to go buy a track bike. I found a salvaged title 2006 R6V for $3,400 with 798 original miles on it. The bike was completely stock. The forks had been replaced along with the front wheel and fairings.

I figured I would post up my progress of building this bike throughout the winter. I am trying to make this as affordable as possible so please excuse the use of cheap alternatives. I figure its a track bike....

My plan and what I have completed so far.

Rip all plastics/lights off of bike - DONE
Sell the plastics - Waiting until spring most likely
Remove stock tires and replace with Dunlop Q2's - DONE
Powdercoat wheels Red - DONE
Install Smog Block off Plates - DONE
Install PCV - DONE
Install Spiegler steel braided lines - DONE
Install new grips - DONE
Install Optimal Racing Fairings - Partially done
Remove Fairings and Paint -
Install 520 Conversion kit - DONE
Install new levers - DONE
Install 05 Header - DONE
Install MGP Growler slipon - DONE
Remove and repaint stock upper triple clamp - DONE

Thats all I can think of so far.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
couple of suggestions:

1. Get BT-016's for beginner to intermediate level, good feel from those tires, although I've heard good reviews from the Q2's themselves.

2. PM Agg2001 for Frentubo Carbotech Type 4 brake lines, much better quality and feel than the SS lines.

3. Stock brake pads are good till advanced/higher intermediate pace.

Build looks good, also plan on aftermarket clip-ons, just in case you crash and break them then replacement of just the bar is very easy.

The most important part is to get your suspension tuned for your weight and riding skills.

Good luck and subscribed for progress on the build. :cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
couple of suggestions:

1. Get BT-016's for beginner to intermediate level, good feel from those tires, although I've heard good reviews from the Q2's themselves.

2. PM Agg2001 for Frentubo Carbotech Type 4 brake lines, much better quality and feel than the SS lines.

3. Stock brake pads are good till advanced/higher intermediate pace.

Build looks good, also plan on aftermarket clip-ons, just in case you crash and break them then replacement of just the bar is very easy.

The most important part is to get your suspension tuned for your weight and riding skills.

Good luck and subscribed for progress on the build. :cheers
1. Already have a set of Q2's that I got for cheap and lots of my track friends use them. I also have a few Dunlop 209GPA's that are leftover from my 1000 that I will probably try out on the R6 once the season progresses.

2. I will consider that.

3. One thing I was really disappointed in was the feel of the front brake when I got the bike. I am not sure if it was the lines, the fluid or the pads. Since I am going to replace the lines first, I will try it out after that to see if that fixes the problem. My 1000RR front brake is a ton better as it sits.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
3. One thing I was really disappointed in was the feel of the front brake when I got the bike. I am not sure if it was the lines, the fluid or the pads. Since I am going to replace the lines first, I will try it out after that to see if that fixes the problem. My 1000RR front brake is a ton better as it sits.

It might just need some bleeding maybe, but on my 08, just changing the stock lines out to the Fren tubo completely removed brake fade, I'm still running stock pads and they are fine for my pace. try to just bleed the brakes and see if it helps any. The brakes on the R6 are great to start off with, but on the track there is a lot of fade as the trackday goes on. New lines completely got rid of that also.

Good luck man

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
run motul rbf-600 (or the 660 if the wallet allows it). night and day difference. plus a set of vesrah RJL pads up front will make a difference. :fact

welcome to the poor house, btw. ;)

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Awesome!!! Yes, like agg said, we love build threads:fact

And like Rammy said, the stock front brakes on the 6 are phenomenal for being stock, alot of guys with different bikes will usually convert over to the R6 front brakes...

Makes me think whoever did repair/replacement of your front end didnt bleed or use good brake fluid...

What ever the case is, youll definitely fix it by putting some lines on there...

Anyways, welcome to the forum...theres a lot of good people here that give very good advice

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
run motul rbf-600 (or the 660 if the wallet allows it). night and day difference. plus a set of vesrah RJL pads up front will make a difference. :fact

welcome to the poor house, btw. ;)
I will respectfully disagree with you here. I don't believe the R6's brakes will see the type of heat that requires 600 or 660. I use valvoline DOT-3,4 along with the Tubos and RJL's and have never experienced anything other than face disfiguring stopping power. A fresh bleed every few track days really helps too.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
I will respectfully disagree with you here. I don't believe the R6's brakes will see the type of heat that requires 600 or 660. I use valvoline DOT-3,4 along with the Tubos and RJL's and have never experienced anything other than face disfiguring stopping power. A fresh bleed every few track days really helps too.
i used to run the dot 3&4... but i like my new rbf600 better. ZERO fade, even when FIREY hot during a session.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
i used to run the dot 3&4... but i like my new rbf600 better. ZERO fade, even when FIREY hot during a session.
Hmm, I've never experienced fade with valvoline. Think I might give the Motul a shot and see if I notice a difference.

·
Premium Member
6,439 Posts
Welcome! Glad to see another build thread...

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
power ones or bt-003(not the RS version) > Q2's
in my opinion

:wave welcome to the forum, I'm Dan (the coolest one here :secret)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
power ones or bt-003(not the RS version) > Q2's
in my opinion

:wave welcome to the forum, I'm Dan (the coolest one here :secret)
I have ridden on Q2's and I already have a set. I also have a set of 209GPA's that I am going to try out once I rip through the Q2's. I am hoping to do 2-3 track days per month next season so....probably try out a few different brands.

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
I have ridden on Q2's and I already have a set. I also have a set of 209GPA's that I am going to try out once I rip through the Q2's. I am hoping to do 2-3 track days per month next season so....probably try out a few different brands.
I was running Michelins, but have been seeing quite a few threads and hearing experiences of the 2CTs failing on people. Although I've never had a problem with it, I've decided to switch over to Dunlop. I'll be trying them out for the first time next year. Q2's first, then will upgrade to the 211's.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts