Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

2006 R6V Track Bike Build - New Member

13K views 65 replies 21 participants last post by  schillrw 
I am planning on getting some suspension work done on the bike but I was going to wait until spring when I at least get to ride it a few times and see how it feels.

Regarding the powdercoating of wheels, I can get it done for basically free.

Steering damper - its on my want list, but hasn't made it onto my need list yet. I have never been a huge believer for whatever reason with steering dampers. I have one on my 1000 but I don't seem to notice that much difference compared to my bikes without it. I grew up racing dirtbikes so "pucker moments" are fewer for me since I am used to much more head shake. Either way, its on list but I am waiting on finding one used on here or at the track.
I feel the same way regarding the damper. I used to ride dirt like a champ. If you're gonna be hammering on any bike there's gonna be a fair amount of normal headshake. It comes with the territory. I'm sure I'll pick up a damper when I have the loot, but I've got several other items that are way ahead of it on my list too

Whenever I need to press bearings in/out, I rig up a way to get the bearing in the vice and use 2 deep sockets. One big enough to catch the bearing and one just the right size to push it through. It's usually pretty easy to rig something up.. Maybe even a BIG C-Clamp or something.

I hate hammering them in and out.

I haven't done my wheel bearing yet, but this always worked for carrier bearings and a-arm bearings on quads and other stuff too.

I used a socket to put them back in but still used a hammer. I am not sure how you could use the socket to get them out because there just isn't enough lip of the bearing to grab a hold of.
U use one socket to push the bearing with, and the other is just a huge one so that the bearing has somewhere to go when you push it all the way thru th other side. There's no grabbing needed.

Like I said, tho, I never did these wheel bearings yet..

Finally got the bike back together last night to the point of starting it. It appears I am going to need a new battery also. I had to use my 08 CBR1000RR battery to get it started. It started up just fine but will need a different map. It was running a little rough right off of idle with the graves map installed.
Does your 08 CBR have a tiny battery in it? My friends is so small, and barely enough to start the bike up..

And once the bike warms up, the choppy idle will probably clear up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.