Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, got one for you.
And I searched for this so if I missed it, please flame away. I deserve it.

2006 R6 with minor motor work.
Most work on the bottom end. Top end is pretty well stock. Stock valves, springs, head gasket.

Got this bike as a basket case from a buddy cause it wouldnt run.

Pulled the valve cover, retimed it. Got it as close as I possibly could.

Checked valve clearance, intake specs are .12 to .19.
Way tight. Pulled the shims out completely... Now specs are as follows.

Cyl 1 .12
Cyl 2 .10
Cyl 3 .08
Cyl 4 .10

I cant get hold of the kid to find out if he did anything to the heads when he was working on it. But What Im wondering is what would cause me to have such low numbers between the tap and cam with absolutely NO shims?

Ive got an idea, I just want to see if anyone says the same thing Im thinking.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Edit: Before anyone asks, yes I measured cams. Theyre within tolerances. Cam carriers are torqued to spec.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
5,832 Posts
I assume you mean .12 mm not .12 inches. I have never seen numbers like that without shims. In order for the stems to be that tight I would think that the valves were sucked into the head seats.....but I've never seen anything like that on valves accross the board...at least without seeing visible damage.

Are you sure you are looking at the mm #'s.

What do the exhaust sid #'s look like? I wonder ift it is possible that the intake and exhaust valves were swapped.....I don't think that is even possible, but I'm trying to figure out how you are getting what you have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess at this point, we can disregard this thread. Figured out something else that has made this irrelevant at this point. Heads have to come off. So Im sure Ill be readressing this at some point, but until then, thank you sir.

(Read into this, either bad headgasket or warped heads. Not sure why we never got to this point last night but... Pulled the cams so everything should be completely seated. Did a leakdown and Im dropping pressure.)

Bleh. I so hate dropping engines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts