Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Trackday junky
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new 2008 R6 can be had for $8500 out the door.

I have an opportunity to buy a pristine 2006 R6 with 2200 gently ridden street miles on the clock for $6300.

Is the '08 worth the extra $2200 (30% more)? Which one's the better deal?

Thanks,

Leo

·
Resident JMU Wizard
1,218 Posts
Where did you find an '08 for $8500 OTD? Lowest in my search over 3 states was $9850 OTD.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
there's nothing like a brand new bike. u know everything about it, u've added every single mod so u know exactly what some of the problems can be, u know the complete history, there's a greater sense of ownership, blah blah blah. and, in ur case, the bike isn't just newer, it has better mid-range due to the variable intake system, some minor friction reducing engine mods, a stiffer frame at high speeds, and some other minor changes. either way u can't go wrong tho. i found the cheapest 08 otd in illinois (7.25% tax) was $9300

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I paid $8500 OTD new for my 07 R6 paid more for my 06 R6 new.

The 06 sounds like a good deal though

....sorry guess that was really no help at all :D

·
Trackday junky
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I paid $8500 OTD new for my 07 R6 paid more for my 06 R6 new.

The 06 sounds like a good deal though

....sorry guess that was really no help at all :D
Question is, are all the 'improvements' to the 2008 model worth a premium of 20-30% on the old model? I doubt it, esp to a newbie to the track.

Leo

·
Registered
350 Posts
there's nothing like a brand new bike. u know everything about it, u've added every single mod so u know exactly what some of the problems can be, u know the complete history, there's a greater sense of ownership, blah blah blah. and, in ur case, the bike isn't just newer, it has better mid-range due to the variable intake system, some minor friction reducing engine mods, a stiffer frame at high speeds, and some other minor changes. either way u can't go wrong tho. i found the cheapest 08 otd in illinois (7.25% tax) was $9300

:werd and you actually get to pick a color.

·
My R6 eats my $$
414 Posts
i kinda had the same problem when i started looking to buy a bike, i went with the brand new and spent a little more money, i think its worth it, factory warranty, maybe a service plan through the dealership, and you know that the bike hasn't been drivin very hard or anything. And you get to make sure its broken in properly. Just my .02

·
Registered
49 Posts
With a new one you can pick your color, the 08 has some better features, you can finance, you get a warranty, and you get to break it in. Plus I think the 08 look a little better. I got mine for $9599 OTD from OTD Motorsports in California.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just went through the same issue. I decided to go used. I saved close to $2500. I figured al lot had to go wrong to equal the $2500.

·
^^ tallest Yamaha rider^^
6,296 Posts
A new 2008 R6 can be had for $8500 out the door.
Leo
:BS no way can u get a brand new R6 for f***in $1,100 under MSRP...unless ur dealership is in the business of making no money whatsoever...i work at a dealership and i have to pay cost + another 15% added onto that...

·
Registered
49 Posts
:BS no way can u get a brand new R6 for f***in $1,100 under MSRP...unless ur dealership is in the business of making no money whatsoever...i work at a dealership and i have to pay cost + another 15% added onto that...
Maybe you are mistaking and that is before taxes? My bike was $8750 or so before license, tax, DMV so it came out to sticker price after.

·
Love to RIDE!
238 Posts

·
^^ tallest Yamaha rider^^
6,296 Posts
Maybe you are mistaking and that is before taxes? My bike was $8750 or so before license, tax, DMV so it came out to sticker price after.
MSRP $9,599
Freight n Prep $1,088
tax, DMV, licensing etc. $700+

living in Cali, it's very hard to get a good deal because u can ride year round so dealerships don't have to "cut u a good deal"

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
wow that owner is an ass. i paid less than that...

·
Trackday junky
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry, just go to ebay, right this second, and look for yourself. Don't take my word for it.

But I understand your upset.

Leo

1 - 20 of 52 Posts