Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

So I have an 07 R6, that I just bought last saterday. Now I LOVE THIS BIKE a lot, but it is very hard to ride compared to an 07 GSX R and an 07 Ninja. I got onto the GSX R and without a problem rode the bike and was able to shift smooth and stsart out of first gear. I noticed that my bike's clutch releases closer to the top, making it harder to ride out of first gear. Is this normal for the R6's? I understand they have slipper clutches and maybe that is why. Is there a way to adjust it to make it grab closer? Also is there a way to adjust bike hieght? I feel like i am on my tip toes when at a light. any input would help. Seems like the R6 is not a beginer bike at all and the GSX R is more fit for a new rider.

thanks

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
umm the clutch disengages at the top for quicker shifting, you'll get used to it.... the bike height gives the bike it's handling characteristics.....the r6 is more of a track bike, meant to be rode hard, sounds like you want the r6s or a gsxr, a more streetable bike. you'll learn all the tricks to the r6, then never want anything else lol

·
Registered
644 Posts
None of the bikes listed above are "beginner bikes". They are all race bikes designed to be streetable. You'll learn and love the bike. Until then you could lower the rear of the bike with a lowering link (ebay) and lower the forks up front. Thee are how-to's on these mods. Ride safe.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What exactly is a slipper clutch? I read about it but not 100% sure i understand the point. I really do love this bike thouhg and just need some practice. Turning on it is pure joy though! Also, i noticed that the GSX R can cruise comfy at a lower rpm like 4k. The R6 seems to not like that range and preferes the higher rpm range ( which im scared poopless about haha)...So the bike hieght is purposly designed for that huh, the turning.

·
Oorah!
1,140 Posts
To make it simple...lets say you down shift to first going about 60 mph it's not going to grab the gear and make your rear tire lock up till it reaches desired speed..what it does it slips the clutch till you have reached a do-able speed so that you don't have a locked up rear. Great for the track, okay for the street..however you won't notice unless you go into corners like rossi.

As for the height, keep riding with the way it is..don't mess with it..because if you do you'll forever ride like that and then you won't be any good with corners :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
The clutch is perfect for two finger shifting because it engages as soon as you pull the lever...

I agree, the yammie does not like low RPM's. One of the best MODS you can do to remedy the tall first gear is go down one tooth on the first sprocket and go up two on the rear sprocket. It will result in your bike getting into higher RPM's faster.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks for giving me the info guys...
I was just a little worried that the clutch felt like that and its really only an "issue" in first gear. Other then that the bike is sick and i am really happy with the impulse decision i made!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
You may be scared of the high RPM's now but soon the scream of your R6 will be as addicting as any drug.

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
Sounds like you just need to get more used to your bike. Take the MSF course please.
:stupic instead of changing gearing, just ride the bike the way it was meant to be rode. i rarely ever go above second gear in the city unless i'm trying to save gas, same with 6th gear on the highway.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:stupic instead of changing gearing, just ride the bike the way it was meant to be rode. i rarely ever go above second gear in the city unless i'm trying to save gas, same with 6th gear on the highway.
You ride around in 2nd gear at lest say 40mph? Im not sure thats how they designed the bike to be ridden. On the track they shift all the time

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im registerd for the 3 day course starting in october. All I have is a permit now so that should help.

So bottom line is my bike behaves just like eveyone elses, with the clutch grabbing so high?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Im registerd for the 3 day course starting in october. All I have is a permit now so that should help.

So bottom line is my bike behaves just like eveyone elses, with the clutch grabbing so high?
yep...it took me a while to get used to..but now i love it.
fast downshifts...

slipper clutch-easy definition:
prevents the rear wheen from locking up when downshifting hard, without rev matching

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just went riding right now. I am getting better used to the bike. I took it in 2nd gear to about 9k and wow does this bike move at that speed. The GSX R seems to have steady power, wheres my bike has a "vtec" feel to it. Any thought about the ride hiehgt on the R6? Seems higher then the other bikes.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea...so...the clutch is def a nuisance on this bike. For some reason everytime I buy a bike or a car there is some type of clutch "issue" associated with it. I understand that it is normal and working as designed, but I dont really see a reason for it to grab at the very top because
1.You use ackward hand muscles at that point, making it uncomfortable to ride long distances
2. Stalling out is 100 times more likely if your not careful
3. Shifting gears becomes a drag because when you pull the lever, shift and then release the lever and wait for it to grab at the top it makes the bike jerk at low speeds. The lack of low end power also adds to the problem because the bike feels like its bogging down and dying. This is all things I should have researched before the purchase, but what can you do now right? Dont get me wrong, I really enjoy riding this bike, but everytime I get on the GSXR or the ninja, I just feel way more comfortable on it. Now when I punch the gas on the R6, its a different story. Suddenly all the issues from above are gone and the bike is smoother then ever. So pretty much you have to ride it in a gear lower then the other bikes to make it ride normally on the street.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts