Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 R6 that has been having an idling issue. It runs ok until it warms up but after that, it idles rough, surges when starting from an idle, and will stall when starting from a stop unless I rev it up high. I have already replaced ignition coils with aftermarket coils and replaced plugs with Iridium plugs. I'm thinking it may be the TPS sensor but I'm not sure and I would prefer to not have to take it to a mechanic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
First off, you should only use new OEM coils. And iridium plugs are a waste of money imo.

But some info is missing here, like how many miles and is the bike stock?

Air filter clean?

You can get the service manual from r6messagent (google search). In there you will find out how to use the diagnostic menu.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't had them done yet but I'm trying to rule out anything else before then. My local shop said they couldn't get around to it for at least a month.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check d01 d13 d14 and d15 in the diag menu , compare the reading with the service manual from there you will have a idea if it’s a issue with anything throttle body related .. also is it only a slip on not a full exhaust. I hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
5,863 Posts
You said it had a slip-on, but has the under engine muffler/cat box been removed? Have the headers been gutted (honeycomb cats in the headers removed?

Those mods are known to cause bouncing idling. And they definitely make a Fuel controller or ECU flash recommended

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The previous owner installed the slip on. The cat box is still there and I doubt any other exhaust work was done. All the diag codes are coming back to spec with the manual.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The previous owner installed the slip on. The cat box is still there and I doubt any other exhaust work was done. All the diag codes are coming back to spec with the manual.
I would clean your TPS, and see if that makes a difference.
The surge really sounds like TPS to me.

Question though: Have you checked your throttle mechanism to see if the cables are fine and not frayed or broken? How about the throttle pulley next to the engine where th Lee cables end. Is it stuck, frozen? I had a similar problem that turned out that the pulley attached to the engine was actually damaged by a previous owner during a crash. They told me about the idling and power problems, but didn’t tell me why. Just a thought.

You can get a set of security torx bits and some electric cleaner and clean the TPS for decently cheap. It also could just be malaigned and need to be adjusted to spec. I know you said the reading was within spec, but the cleaning is an easy thing to do and is relatively cheap.

Could also be valves though. If it’s that, there’s not much I can tell ya other than to seek professional mechanical help. ☹

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
.... 07 R6 .... idling issue. ... runs ok until it warms ... after .. idles rough, ........... will stall when starting from a stop unless I rev it up high.
Not sure what "surges when starting from an idle" means. Sounds like a Harley, lost a ton of torque, classic ignition coil(s).

I have already replaced ignition coils with aftermarket coils ...........
There have been several threads lately where the above problems persisted after coil replacement. In every case they had used/defective replacement part(s); or replaced the wrong coil(s).

............ the TPS sensor ...................
TPS is probably one of the most commonly misdiagnosed items.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I had one coil fail, I replaced all of them as preventative maintenance. All the coils ohm out fine and it doesn't seem to misfire completely like it did when a coil went out. It just runs rough and won't idle. I'm not sure where to start short of buying a full set of OEM coils.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Anything done to it other than ignition coil replacements? Plugs gapped properly? Plug wires in correct order? (if wire length even allows an incorrect order)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Plugs were properly gapped and the wires are in the correct order. It runs fine at higher rpms. Its just lower RPMs and idling is where is starts to screw up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Plugs were properly gapped and the wires are in the correct order. It runs fine at higher rpms. Its just lower RPMs and idling is where is starts to screw up.
Friend have you been able to solve your problem? I have a similar situation. But the motor stalls no matter warm or cold. I always need to hold my hand gas

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Friend have you been able to solve your problem? I have a similar situation. But the motor stalls no matter warm or cold. I always need to hold my hand gas
How many miles? Could be valves need adjusting. You will need to supply some info on your bike etc for anybody to point you in the right direction if this thread and others on here don't help you out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I took it up to my local shop to have the valves clearances done and they found that my valves clearances were wayyyyyyy too tight. They also found a blown head gasket. So after a month of being in the shop and $800 in labor, I got the bike back and it runs fantastic. The head gasket may not be the issue for your bike but I highly recommend you get your valve clearances done. It makes a night and day difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a similar problem to my 06 R6, when I start if cold it fires right up but when the temp hits 104 the idle starts jumping between like 1000 and 1800 maybe with like 3 second intervals. It doesnt die if I just wait till it reaches like 150 and once its warm there is no issue what so ever. The bike has 16K on it, suspect it has been raced with. It does have the the muffler cut off so that will be the first thing I will fix. But I dont know if the bike has been tuned according to the exhaust, how do I know that?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts