Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Newb
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked this bike up Friday night and the guy showed me the "special way" to get the key to turn. You have to push it down then turn a little then come up a little and giggle it and turn......... Yea screw all that. It's a Yamaha key and I figure the stock ignition? All the vin numbers match to the title lol now stolen.

Is there a way to fix what I have?

I wouldn't think there is a difference between the r6 and r6s ignition switch if I were to buy a new one right? Just maybe year difference if that.
Was hoping to just fix what I've got if possible.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You need to get that fixed that little problem could cause a short and up burning up your front harness. I had an ignition like that and that's exactly what happened the front half if my harness burned up.
You're going to have to pick up a whole new lock set ignition gas cap and possibly seat lock. Not something you want to let slide it could bite you in the ass.

·
Newb
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I figured I'd have to replace a lot or just have an ignition key and a everything else key.

I'm going to see if there is anyone around that's good at rebuilding these things. Although I don't think it'll be much fun trying to get the damn thing off the triple tree.

·
Flying Finn
71 Posts
Try putting a drop or to of high grade lock oil into keyhole. It helped on my bike. Do not use any gun- or weaponoil since those are made to dissolve copper and brass. They will make your lock loose.

·
Newb
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yay the oil/cleaner stuff I got worked! Granted you still push all the way down then a little up and turn but it's simple now.

·
Newb
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel dumb asking this but is it suppose to just push down and turn to start the bike?
It was being difficult again today.

·
Newb
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea only one key.
I used lock cleaner/lube. It's graphite and the only stuff I could find. Reading online it was saying WD40 wouldn't work. Guess it was wrong.

·
Pobrecitos
19,910 Posts
Yea only one key.
I used lock cleaner/lube. It's graphite and the only stuff I could find. Reading online it was saying WD40 wouldn't work. Guess it was wrong.
I dunno, a spritz did the work for me, but I'm guess if the other graphite stuff didn't work, wd-40 won't be any better.

Does the key appear worn?

·
Newb
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not too bad.
I was looking on eBay and some have the entire triple tree with ignition. That looks like the way to go if I had to replace it. I don't want to have to drill out the safty bolts and all that jazz....

I wish I could just fix this one! It just seems like a tumbler issue.

Attachments

·
Pobrecitos
19,910 Posts
Not too bad.
I was looking on eBay and some have the entire triple tree with ignition. That looks like the way to go if I had to replace it. I don't want to have to drill out the safty bolts and all that jazz....

I wish I could just fix this one! It just seems like a tumbler issue.
I'd try to make a copy of the key first, you can find $4 euro keys on ebay too...

Not sure if it will help but something I'd try next (before removing the trip). You will also need to re-key gas cap and trunk if you go that route...

·
Newb
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just realized it won't turn left to lock. I'm starting to think I'm SOL and need an ignition. I already ordered a key though.

·
2003 R6
141 Posts
I just realized it won't turn left to lock. I'm starting to think I'm SOL and need an ignition. I already ordered a key though.

No need to order a key. If you don't care it doesn't say Yamaha, go to your local key shop and they will have a key there that will fit, paid 3$ for mine. A new key should help your issue as it will be better cut and the edges not ground down like your key now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts