Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody.

I picked up my r6 about a month ago.

A week after I bought it I had a problem with the coils causing a poor idle and sluggish low end acceleration so I bought some CoilSpec ignition coils and that fixed the problem.

After about a week of riding with the new coils, I noticed once the bike had warmed up there was a delay in the throttle response when revving the engine. I couldn't tell if it was all in my head or what. Now it's gotten really bad.
Here is a video showing whats going on.
It only happens when the bike is warmed up. I have taken the coils out and tested their resistance, both cold and warm, they're all within spec.

Could this be the throttle bodies out of sync? A fueling problem? Faulty coils?
The previous owner said the last valve adjustment was last summer.
No CEL and no codes.
The only mod to it is an M4 GP slip on with no PCV or ECU flash.

Thanks in advance.

PS. If the links aren't working let me know and I'll fix them.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Going by past experience of a car i had that did this, it ended up being a fuel pump. It just happened to get weaker about the same time the engine got up to normal temps and then it would sputter like that. If i eased into the throttle i could drive it and it would not sputter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@The_legend_27 Trying to get some longer term feedback on Coilspec coils. I have a 03 R6 and replaced my coils with Coilspec back in 2017. It's been no more than 2-3K miles and now the bike is dragging as if a coil or 2 are bad. I took them out and the resistance are in spec but I see in posts that you can't completely use resistance to determine if they are good or bad. So, I am wondering if Coilspec coils are actually durable. Did you find a resolution to your problem? Are you still using the same Coilspec coils today?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quick follow-up. I retested my coils for resistance and one was bad with secondary resistance. I don't know how I missed that the first time but clearly user error. As to Coilspec, customer service was great helping getting a replacement. Long term durability is still yet to be seen but Coilspec customer service would have me go back to them. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts