Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I hate to be "that guy" making another won't start post, but here goes. 2007 R6W, 30k miles or so.

Hadn't ridden for a couple weeks, but no issues or maintenance or "upgrades" done with the bike for the last nine months. No issues leading up to no-start condition. Engine will turn over strong and sometimes start to combust (can hear it) but will not continue after letting go of the starter. No codes. Tank is full and I only run the shell v-power nitro through it. Can hear pump prime.

Things I've tested so far!
  • Tried holding the throttle open while starting
  • Unhooked the main fuel line and turned the ignition on with my thumb over the pump outlet, good pressure and fuel squirting in a steady stream without my thumb.
  • Checked exhaust/intake for debris/blockage
  • Checked tank breathers for debris/blockage
  • Battery voltage is good, 13.8V
Things I've maintenanced:
  • Replaced fuel pump with OEM (was aftermarket and it died on me) ~1 year ago
  • Valve clearance adjustment ~1 year ago
Things that aren't stock:
  • Slip-on exhaust
  • Speedo-healer (for different sprocket/chain setup)
  • Deleted/blocked off air induction system
  • Lithium battery

·
Touchdown!
1,422 Posts
Post a video.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pull your plugs and post up some pics of them.

Blow them out with compressed air or something.

Hit the starter with the plugs out and the fuel pump unplugged.

Reinstall the plugs and hook the pump back up and give her a yank.

I'm betting moisture in the combustion chamber or she was flooded.

Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies! Well I went to take a video of the problem this morning, and she decided to start up this time! Not very happy initially. I didn't notice until I turned the video off but there was some steam (?) and liquid spitting out the exhaust. It didn't smell like coolant or oil, so I'm guessing it was water? Not really sure. After running for about a minute, it stopped being so sluggish and liquid/steam stopped coming out of the exhaust. I let her sit for about 30 mins, then started her up again, started fine and got up to temp fine. So everything seems normal now.

Any ideas what was going on?

EDIT: Forgot to add, bike is normally kept outdoors but always with a cover.

Video:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Condensation. Likely from the fuel. Modern fuel contains ethanol, it is hygroscopic. It will pull moisture from the atmosphere.

It should clear up after a few fresh tanks of fuel. Wherever you got fuel last, try avoiding that station. They may be getting moisture in the fuel.

Sometimes condensation can be in the exhaust if you let the bike sit or if it gets rain water in it. This will cause some smoke too. No cause for concern.

If the smoke ever smells sweet, do a leak down test.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I guess this problem isn't put to bed. Been on two rides with no problems but rode to pick up lunch today and after sitting off for ~60 seconds, wouldn't start again. This time there is no combustion happening at all, just cranking...

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Any codes?
Read fuel pressure.
Test ignition switch.
One red wire feeds into the ignition, which is then split off into three independent wires. Look for low voltage on a wire. Poke straight-pin through wire to get a reading.
If it were a kickstand, kill or clutch switch, it wouldn't crank at all.
The fuel injectors are not fired when hold throttle to 100%.before beginning and during the crank. (flood clear mode)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts