Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 R6s with 7,000 miles that I got last fall. The last couple of weeks I have noticed that sometimes the bike will feel like it is hitting the rev limiter in second gear around 11,000 RPMs. It will start stuttering and hesitating.

I did put a Danmoto exhaust on it, and I don't have a FI controller. Could this be the problem?

This weekend I plan to clean the air filter and replace the plugs, and try it with the stock exhaust back on.

I also read that on the 03-05 there were some problems with the coils not putting out enough juice, especially if the high beams are on? Now that I think of it, this does seem to happen when I have my high beams on but I will do some more testing with that this afternoon.

Does the R6s have the same problems with the coils that the 03-05's had, or had Yamaha fixed this problem by 2007?

If I should change the coils, do I go with OEM or are there aftermarket ones that are better?

Any other things to check that could cause this problem?

Thanks in advance.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
when problems suddenly arise after changing something, what was changed that is often the cause of the new problem. yes, adding a less restrictive exhaust, is no likely causing the bike bike to run lean at higher rpms. ya likely now need a map if you want to use that exhaust.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put the exhaust on over the winter, but didn't really notice this problem until a couple of weeks ago. I have been riding since March with the exhaust on. But the weather is getting warmer now so that might change things.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
The only regular issue related to coils I've heard about is the recall on the '03 coils. They do go bad sometimes, but I've never heard anything about the high beams causing coils not to fire correctly. I had an '03 that I put ~30k miles on and never experienced such a problem.

Bad plugs might cause the problem you're describing - I just had that exact issue on my race bike (lesson learned, don't follow the normal service interval for plugs on a track bike!). But you're 3k of the normal plug change interval, on a street bike, so I think it'd be much more likely that it's due to the exhaust.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I swapped the stock slip-on back on after work (god-damn that thing is quiet :yuk:) and it seems a little better there is still hesitation around 11-12k rpms. I doesn't pull cleanly through this area to redline.

I added a couple ounces of Seafoam to my gas just now and I plan to clean my air filter this weekend and change my plugs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thought I'd share my experience. I have a 04 r6 and was experiencing the exact same issue.

As you already assumed it was the ignition coils. I could not get past 6 rpm without the engine hesitating and dropping rpm on me. Brought it to the mechanic and just as I researched, it was the coils. My baby red lines hard now. If its not cutting out until 11 rpm its probably just one coil that is out. I swapped out all my coils just to be safe.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to change the plugs first and see if that fixes it.

If I do have to start replacing coils, to I just buy OEM ones?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I'm going to change the plugs first and see if that fixes it.

If I do have to start replacing coils, to I just buy OEM ones?
there are youtube vids and current forum threads on how to measure the resistance with a $10 multi-meter. if the readings are within manual spec, they are most likely fine. Or if they all read the same. Sometimes checking them when hot is best (but they will cool off some during the time it takes to get the tank and airbox out of the way). Don't just go throwing expensive parts hoping to solve an issue. the plugs are not that old, and don't waste money on IR plugs, but while the coils are out, much of this job is already done so why not.. just get original ngk cr10ek plugs

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I just got done replacing the plugs. Put the stock CR10EK's in. Also put a new air filter in. All of the coils looked visually clean with no burn marks. I am going to head out for a ride once I cool down a bit to see how it runs now. I imagine it still had the original plugs in it, which only had 7,000 miles on them but were 8 years old.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I just got done replacing the plugs. Put the stock CR10EK's in. Also put a new air filter in. All of the coils looked visually clean with no burn marks. I am going to head out for a ride once I cool down a bit to see how it runs now. I imagine it still had the original plus in it, which only had 7,000 miles on them but were 8 years old.
dude, that is a lot of work to do without bothering to check the coil resistances.. you had them in your hands. The money you wasted on a new air filter (the 03-05/s can just be WASHED and makes as much HP as any aftermarket one you can put on that model) would have been better spent on a cheap multi-meter.
Oh well, hope the plugs did the trick. If it's a filter you have to OIL, do not over oil it! or the bike will not run above mid rpm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The plugs weren't that bad to change. I could have the coils out again and in my hands in 20 minutes.

Of course the air filter can be cleaned. The old one somehow had a 2" long tear in it so I decided to just replace it (with a new stock one). Yes, I already have a multimeter.

I did some redline runs in second gear and there is no more hesitation, so I'm happy. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The plugs weren't that bad to change. I could have the coils out again and in my hands in 20 minutes.

Of course the air filter can be cleaned. The old one somehow had a 2" long tear in it so I decided to just replace it (with a new stock one). Yes, I already have a multimeter.

I did some redline runs in second gear and there is no more hesitation, so I'm happy. Thanks for the help everyone.
sonwhatbdonyounthjnk the final issue was?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts