Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Kasanova
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a post for this topic but A. the last post was almost a year ago and B. it was for 03's. At first my bike wouldn't do it. But its got about 1000 miles on it now and seems a bit more willing. From what I read it appears that most agree that clutchless going up is fine, But down was bad due to a lack of a slipper clutch (which the 08's have:YEA). So, its ok to do this on 08 models?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Down shifting without the clutch to me is asking for trouble. But I dont have a slipper clutch.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
The slipper clutch has no effect on clutchless downshifts - they are still generally a bad idea. It is possible to do them, I did them a few times on my first bike, but they are harder to get right and the consequences are worse if you get them wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well first of all what kind of riding are we talking about here? I have no problem downshifting clutchless with my '07. Just the same as upshifts, you just need to unload the transmission while you do it. Can't say that I've tried it with really high rpms though....

·
Registered
59 Posts
If im giving it some "beans" i'll upshift without the clutch, its actually really smooth and quick if you know what you're doing lol saying that i always clutch it when downshifting

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's just like upshifting and downshifting a car with no clutch. Give it a blip of the throttle and downshift it. It won't downshift if you don't give it some throttle to take load off the tranny. You can almost prelouad the shifter just as you would to upshift and as soon as load is off the tranny it will drop right down.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
on more casual rides, there's no reason to not use your clutch when downshifting. i find my '08 significantly smoother than my 2000 on both aggressive clutchless downshifts AND casual clutched downies.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not sure where I read it (could even be the manual on the R6) but even with this clutch they advised NOT to shift gears without the gears.

Better question: If you knew that the used bike you are buying was ridden without the clutch (up or downshifting) would you buy it over the bike that was ridden with the clutch?

If the answer is no then your answer to using clutchless shifting should be the same. ;)

·
Kasanova
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure where I read it (could even be the manual on the R6) but even with this clutch they advised NOT to shift gears without the gears.

Better question: If you knew that the used bike you are buying was ridden without the clutch (up or downshifting) would you buy it over the bike that was ridden with the clutch?

If the answer is no then your answer to using clutchless shifting should be the same. ;)
Thats a VERY good point, because I do plan on upgrading to the R1 after this bike is paid:werd

·
Registered
59 Posts
I still think upshifting is alot smoother than trying to downshift without the clutch, because naturally when you let off the throttle for that split second, the flywheel wants to slow down i.e engage to the next gear up whereas shifting down requires a more precise human input, and theres more room for error/speed miss matching.

Dont get me wrong, if you have the knack of doing it then dont let me stop you lol:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
clutchless downshifting is not reccomended but is doable, as for clutchless upshifting it is fine even for bikes without slipper clutch. The only thing i reccomend is DO NOT DO CLUTCHLESS SHIFTING INTO 2nd, but other than that i think its better for the bike cuz u dont ride the clutch as much and its helluva lot quicker.

Remember to preload the shifter, lay off the throttle for a second you'll feel it go up a gear then throttle on.. very fast.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah theres a big speed difference for shifting up without clutching! Definately alot quicker, could be a big difference on a track day between getting in front or being behind

1 - 14 of 14 Posts