Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
My R6 gets me hard.
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in here get one of these? I thought about it and thought about it, hell it only costs $3500, why not for a commuter and its suppose to get around 60mpg.

The problem is now that I have decided to get one, every dealership I go to are out. As in no more, aren't getting anymore, they are gone. Have to wait for the 09 250s.

As much and as fast as these bikes have sold, I have yet to come across one on the road.

I was debating so long as to getting one and deciding on which color, black or green, they got sold out.

·
My R6 gets me hard.
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, I was able to find one. This is a great little bike. A little slow to get up to speed in comparison but the overall stability and handling is sharp. I was disappointed in the acceleration but its a 250 so.....

But roll on power is better than a stand still. Everything about this bike is in the plus side. Worth the $$$$ it is fun and its a looker. And 60mpg. I'm sure it could use a little more power but the mpg would probably be lower.

Amazing stability on the highway despite its small displacement and weight.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
is the mileage really that much better than your 6 to spend another 3 grand for the 250??? Cause i get about 50 miles a gallon on my 6...just curious

·
Registered
81 Posts
personally, i would never get a 250 but they do hold their value

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I haven't seen one of these out on the street yet but I've read a lot about them. When I got my first bike in March (r6), I almost went with the cheaper, smaller 08 250 because it would be my first bike. They are the best looking 250 I've ever seen. One of the guys that was in my MSF course said he had one and loved it. But after getting on the r6, I don't think I could step down to the power of a 250. :D

·
08 Yamaha R6
3,057 Posts
I have seen a couple out around where I live, and I have been looking at getting one for my wife. But all I have heard are good things about them from the people that actually own them.

·
MITICO
437 Posts
I haven't seen any on the road either but a definite step up in the looks department in comparison to the last generation's 250 / 500s, of course it'll be a step down in power but a probable step up in MPG and maybe in casual commuting comfort? Since you're not starting to ride then it's up to you, maybe you can find something higher in CC's but same price used? Fazer 6? Just throwing it out there, not 100% sure on your priorities

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
is the mileage really that much better than your 6 to spend another 3 grand for the 250??? Cause i get about 50 miles a gallon on my 6...just curious
50 MPG!?!?! WHAT!?!
Not trying to piss anyone off but...
Owen... I'm gonna have to raise the BS flag on you there. Mine gets 28 MPG... Now, I know I know. I have regeared mine. BUT, even stock there is NO WAY that I would get 50 MPG

I you get 50 MPG that means you could go 225 miles per tank man. I can only go 125 MAX.

But on the topic of a 250... yeah, I had a buddy who bought one, and loved it. Rode it for a year, (to learn) then sold it to upgrade (?) to a cruiser. Never said a bad thing about it though. I got to ride it a couple times, and they're fun and they will go if pushed.

·
My R6 gets me hard.
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, me too. I don't think you are getting 55mpg on your r6. The best I ever got was maybe 36 - 38mpg.

It's not just the better mileage, its a little more comfortable as well. Easier going than the R6. It handles way better than you would expect. It's so flickable, that is what makes it more fun.

Amazing stability, I am surprised. The dinky small wheels on this thing makes ya kinda wonder. But it is an amazing little bike. Wind blast does not affect this bike not in comparison to other sportbikes. I don't know why, maybe its something that I missed previously I don't know but I am more confident on this bike taking corners quicker into the turns and leaning much more without as much effort or concentration or should I say less worry.

You can buy 2 or 3 of these for the same price as a R6.

As far as the fuel savings I know what you are thinking. The $$$ you spent on this buys you alot of gas for whatever vehicle. But if you are on or in a vehicle that uses less gas. That's less gas you use affecting the overall bigger picture. Less demand or lower demand more supply lower costs. My way of sticking it back to the oil companies. I'm buying less gas overall than before. And if everyone did it, it would impact the oil market significantly.

Despite all that mumbo jumbo it's a fun well put together 2 wheel machine. I know it doesn't have as much power but there's some fun with it not having as much power. When I first rode it I thought it has no acceleration but the more I ride it the more I appreciate the other qualities.

It's my commuter bike that I use to go to work or where ever. Not bad at $3499. If you drove a ferrari to work or where ever, wouldn't you be somewhat worried about it parked out of your view. But if you drove a subcompact, take your pic, would you be worried as much.

It may be slow on acceleration but its still faster than most cars. 0-60 in 5.5 secs. 60 - 65mpg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used to have one. Great starter bike or a great commuter. If you think that you will want speed I wouldnt go for it, not so fast of a bike but comfy and reliable.

·
Love to RIDE!
238 Posts
My friend just got one and it's very nice in person. For a 250!

·
Registered
458 Posts
the only guy I have to ride with in b*m***** louisiana has one. not bad at all if your light in the wallet.. can do 85 90 all day long. he went crazy tho and started moddin it.. to put a FE on it is a B*itch you need to saw some of stock fender off..at least for the kit he got..small a$$ rear tho

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had one, drove it for a month, sold it. Its like a sleeping a fat girl, fun the first few times you get on it, just dont tell your friends.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Try to remember how great the gas mileage is on your R6 next time you're buying a new set of supersport tires for it. The 250s save a lot more than just gas. Tires, chains, sprockets, and every other consumable will last much longer with the 250. So will the fun if you care about anything other than useless top speeds or ridiculous amounts of power. I'm not saying I don't like (or use) the power of the R6, but it is pretty rare for me to use much more than the 250 has. It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts