Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 R6 just recently it started having a slight knock or Tap sound like it’s coming from the top of the engine. I change the cam chain tensioner, timing chain and timing chain guides and the noise is still there. At idle the bike sounds normal, you only hear the noise when you rev the bike. Bike is not loosing any power just have the knocking noise. Any suggestions on anything I else I could check? Don’t want to buy a engine if it’s not shot. Also my clutch was completely shot, was down to metal on two friction plate. The clutch wasn’t even slipping I only checked it when I was looking for the noise. Would a damage clutch basket cause a knock?
Also bike has 13k miles

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,651 Posts
Clearly the engine oil, clutch adjustment protocol, or your riding habit needs to be examined if friction plates are completely worn to the steel. Use a long screw driver with handle to ear touching various parts of the engine to determine the loudest sound.

Reactions: Hoonatic

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Per service personnel, friction plate material can clog the oil coolers. This I believe only applies to cases where actual damage was done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cant help you with the sound but you definitely had the clutch cable adjustment wrong. My R6 had the stock clutch at 60k miles when i sold it. Yes, they should last that ling and beyond.

my lever didn’t have any free play and I was just negligent in doing it and it cost me a clutch. Hopefully it didn’t cost me a bike engine as well

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,651 Posts
Knock, rattle, or tick?

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,651 Posts
Cam chain tensioner or valve lash.

·
Registered
Everything you need to know is in the Service Manual !
177 Posts
I eventually auction off the bike as it spun a rod and that’s what caused the issue.
😢 wonder if the plate debris clogged a oil flow area or if it was just on its way out. There’s a high pressure tube in the pan that can easily be clogged. Sorry for your loss

1 - 13 of 13 Posts