Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! First time poster, long time reader.

I have a 2009 R6 that I bought 2 months ago, it has less than 1000 miles. I had this bike lowered because I am a short rider. 2" lowering link.

I purchased a 2008 R6 which is practically the same as my 2009, but it is not lowered.

When I ride the 2008 it feels out of balance when you turn. It feels like its trying to crash you, and you have to really pay attention to make turns.

I'm not sure what is causing this. I can tell there is something wrong when comparing it to my 2009 R6. I thought maybe becasue its not lowered, but now I dont think that is the cause. Could it be the front tire? The front tire is about shot. tread is about gone, but no threads are showing or anything. As far as I know the bike has never been crashed. I don't see the forks being bent or the frame. When you drive straight its fine, only when turning the handlebars with leaning if that makes since. It's kind of hard to explain what I am feeling in the bike.

Can anybody tell me what is going on, and maybe let me know of a fix?

Thanks!

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Try replacing the tires first...then if that doesnt fix it...come back...

BTW...welcome to the forum..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think you read the post right. The lowered bike is my 2009, and it is stable as all can be. No issues with this bike. The 2008, which is at standard height, is the bike with the balance issues.

Thanks.

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Check to make sure the stem bearings arent tight...and you have free movement in the bars from lock to lock with the front end suspended...

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Check tire pressure, then take your wheels to get them balanced. Also make sure your front and rear wheel are aligned correctly.

·
Registered
324 Posts
First check the air pressure in the tire. Should be around 34-36 psi. If its at 30psi or anything lower then the front end will feel like it wants to pull you in on corners. If thats good Replace the tire, sometimes when the get low on tread they can wear unevenly.

From there i would check if the forks are straight i guess?

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
You could be not used to a stock height. When I went from a lowered bike to a stock height, the bike felt extremely nimble and very easy to turn. You could be used to the lowered bike, the extra effort it takes to steer and how less agile it is. So you get on a stock bike and kinda freak out because it's different.

Could you explain how it feels like it wants to crash? What does it do?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maybe the profile of the tire? When I bought my 03 it had tires with a more aggressive "V" profile. Didnt really notice it then but did once I installed the stock tire size. The more rounded the profile the more stable the bike feels in turns.

Just a thought.

·
Impossible is Nothing.
4,278 Posts
You could be not used to a stock height. When I went from a lowered bike to a stock height, the bike felt extremely nimble and very easy to turn. You could be used to the lowered bike, the extra effort it takes to steer and how less agile it is. So you get on a stock bike and kinda freak out because it's different.

Could you explain how it feels like it wants to crash? What does it do?
:stupic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts