Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Adrenaline Junkie
1,926 Posts
The 3rd gens have less low end than the 2nd gens, so youd definitely have to go a few teeth up in the back. They retuned the engine in 08 to give it a little more power but I think that the 2nd gens still have more low end torque. If you want a stunt R6 save some money and get more low end power with the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for everything so far. I'm not going to convert it to a full stunt bike. I'm looking for more street stunting. I think I'm just going to put race rails, and put a 1 down and 7 up spocket set on it.

Do y'all think is a good street gear to go with -1, + 7

·
Adrenaline Junkie
1,926 Posts
Well, for the street you'll be in stupid high RPMs with that much added to the back. A stunt bike needs a rear sprocket around that large for easy power, but for the street it's not really conventional or practical because youd be shifting so much more often than with close to stock gearing and i'm guessing youd be near redlining it on the freeway in 6th. I think if you want a stunt bike you need a dedicated one with a large rear sprocket or just have to muscle it up more with much more revving for clutch ups with a streetable sprocket or have an extra rear wheel with a bigger sprocket. Also think about the tires- for stunting, you want lower tire pressure, so that will really shorten your tire life in the streets and not be as safe, and it'll be really annoying dropping pressure then re adding every time you want to do some serious stung work. If you want a bike for both i'd say get another rim with another tire and sprocket and change it out when you want to go to a lot and practice.

·
I wreck my R6
194 Posts
Thanks for everything so far. I'm not going to convert it to a full stunt bike. I'm looking for more street stunting. I think I'm just going to put race rails, and put a 1 down and 7 up spocket set on it.

Do y'all think is a good street gear to go with -1, + 7
That would be good, but forget about running from the cops. I met a guy in St. Louis that runs -1/+7 and he kills the streets. Ymmv

·
Stunt Rider
7,950 Posts
I was running a -1/+7 setup a few months ago. 80 mph at 12k and a short pipe (ANNOYING)

Riding a wheelie along side a school bus full of kids "the reward"

·
Registered
19 Posts
my friend has 06 r6r, n it is kinda easy, he runnin 56 rear tooth sprocket, and 1 down in the front, he has a custom idle so he can bump up the idle n to tell you the truth, his bike is easier to bring up then my bike. i have 06 r6s with 60 tooth sprocket. his balance point is not as high as mine

·
Living The Dream
3,796 Posts
i could tell your new at this...-1 +2 will be enough for you start off slow

once you can pop up and take off from a near stop then i would say turn it into a stunt bike

·
Living The Dream
3,796 Posts

·
Stunt Rider
7,950 Posts
Is he still on the R6s or did he pick up a R6r yet? I haven't been following XDL stuff lately.

·
Living The Dream
3,796 Posts
hes on a r6r he had an 09 orange like mine but now he got blue fairings

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,772 Posts
Is he still on the R6s or did he pick up a R6r yet? I haven't been following XDL stuff lately.
R6r with a thumb throttle... I want that setup for the track... I think he got it from a raptor 700

·
Living The Dream
3,796 Posts
R6r with a thumb throttle... I want that setup for the track... I think he got it from a raptor 700
would you really?? what would be the advantages to this besides i would say quicker acceleration?? never heard of anyone even having the thought of doing this

·
Stunt Rider
7,950 Posts
You do know that his orange bike was a R6s right?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,772 Posts
would you really?? what would be the advantages to this besides i would say quicker acceleration?? never heard of anyone even having the thought of doing this
Its easier to modulate the throttle on the downhill side with your throttle hand, like say negotiating right handers. Might be easier for wheelies too... Constant hand position might help you in corners, transitions, etc too... Downside, it might be hard to get used to.... and who knows what happens when the throttle cable breaks...:laugh

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,772 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts