Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Content unavailabill
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sorry to do this to you guys, but I got a bike that won’t start on me.

I bought a 2008 r6 a while back from someone, non running, and it was in a bad accident where it rolled and ripped the bike up.

I have the tank installed and all the wiring is all correct. I have verified the tip sensor is good and have swapped it and the starter relay with spares to verify they are working. I have gone into diagnostic mode and checked all injectors and coils, the fuel pump primes and spits fuel like it should, the ignition relay clicks 5 times when I run the diagnostic mode.

Here’s where I get messed up, turn the key and it just says 22. No mileage or anything. Just 22. I know that’s an error and the intake sensor isn’t installed that’s why it’s popping up. But when I went into diagnostic mode I had like 10 other stored codes before I cleared them in attempt to start the bike that way.

My question is why does the dash say 22? Is that normal for error codes to stay up like that? No way it won’t start because of the intake sensor?? Is my ECU fried? The ECU is a Bauce racing ECU and it ran when it crashed so I know the bike runs.

When I try to start it, the bike just primes and primes and never fires. It doesn’t even sound like it’s getting spark to me.

Im not giving up on the project or anything, I’m just hoping someone else can point me in a better direction. All I can think of at this point is to try a new ECU and/or a new fuel pump because I’m baffled.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Test the intake air temp sensor bud. Check the connection too. May need to ohm out the wires as well.

Good luck bud.

Here's a thread that may help.

·
Content unavailabill
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Test the intake air temp sensor bud. Check the connection too. May need to ohm out the wires as well.

Good luck bud.
it’s not even attached the the bike but would that cause it to not start and the error that won’t clear on my dash? It’s just an intake sensor.

·
Registered
115 Posts
it’s not even attached the the bike but would that cause it to not start and the error that won’t clear on my dash? It’s just an intake sensor.
You can get into diagnostics and check step 61-63 for codes, see if you have any other ones and rectify them, but, if 22 is the only active code, then yes, it's locking the ignition out. You said you have code 22 so I'm just trying to help you fix it bud.

Without being in front of your machine working on it, all I have to go on is the information you give me. I can't intuit what's wrong with you machine over a forum bud. I'm just not that good.

·
Content unavailabill
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can get into diagnostics and check step 61-63 for codes, see if you have any other ones and rectify them, but, if 22 is the only active code, then yes, it's locking the ignition out. You said you have code 22 so I'm just trying to help you fix it bud.

Without being in front of your machine working on it, all I have to go on is the information you give me. I can't intuit what's wrong with you machine over a forum bud. I'm just not that good.
I’ve cleared all codes so none are currently showing. I do have a sensor in the mail on the way but I was for certain it wasnt keeping the bike from starting I thought the sensor just made it run better.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I’ve cleared all codes so none are currently showing. I do have a sensor in the mail on the way but I was for certain it wasnt keeping the bike from starting I thought the sensor just made it run better.
It's flashed bro. I have no idea what conditions the tuner added.

With a stock tune, this is not a disable the bike kind of error. The bike will run like poo without the sensor, but it will run.

If it's not firing the coils, the ecu is cutting fire. Unless your connections are bad or your ecu is bad. You did say the coils fire in diagnostics though.

Now, if fire ISN'T being cut, and you have a bad fuel regulator or a split fuel pump housing or a clogged fuel strainer, AND you have code 22, maybe it's not 22 that's keeping the bike from running.

You said you checked everything and that it's all good and all of the connections are good. You said 22 is the only code. I'm going off the info you provided.

Could it be something other than the sensor? Absolutely. Should the sensor stop it from firing? Not with a stock tune, it ain't stock though.

·
Keep it pinned
8 Posts
I’m sorry to do this to you guys, but I got a bike that won’t start on me.

I bought a 2008 r6 a while back from someone, non running, and it was in a bad accident where it rolled and ripped the bike up.

I have the tank installed and all the wiring is all correct. I have verified the tip sensor is good and have swapped it and the starter relay with spares to verify they are working. I have gone into diagnostic mode and checked all injectors and coils, the fuel pump primes and spits fuel like it should, the ignition relay clicks 5 times when I run the diagnostic mode.

Here’s where I get messed up, turn the key and it just says 22. No mileage or anything. Just 22. I know that’s an error and the intake sensor isn’t installed that’s why it’s popping up. But when I went into diagnostic mode I had like 10 other stored codes before I cleared them in attempt to start the bike that way.

My question is why does the dash say 22? Is that normal for error codes to stay up like that? No way it won’t start because of the intake sensor?? Is my ECU fried? The ECU is a Bauce racing ECU and it ran when it crashed so I know the bike runs.

When I try to start it, the bike just primes and primes and never fires. It doesn’t even sound like it’s getting spark to me.

Im not giving up on the project or anything, I’m just hoping someone else can point me in a better direction. All I can think of at this point is to try a new ECU and/or a new fuel pump because I’m baffled.
Error code 22 aside, which could be a damaged sensor or wire, pull the fuel pump from the tank, The pump has sections which clip together in it and being plastic, in large wrecks they can seperate partially, resulting in the fuel preasure being pumped within the tank and not reaching the injector rail... No fuel pressure, no go !

·
Registered
115 Posts
Error code 22 aside, which could be a damaged sensor or wire, pull the fuel pump from the tank, The pump has sections which clip together in it and being plastic, in large wrecks they can seperate partially, resulting in the fuel preasure being pumped within the tank and not reaching the injector rail... No fuel pressure, no go !
Slope Rectangle Parallel Font Diagram

Like, this? With a friction fit plastic piece holding the o ring down that seals the top and bottom half of the fuel standpipe that comes from the pump and goes to the regulator and fuel rail?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts