Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"These things don't belong on the street!"

This has become the cry of the rational motorcyclist when the subject of modern literbikes comes up. But what if you could have virtually all of the same performance-driven componentry and research and development that go into most superbikes in a motorcycle with roughly 30-35% less spank? Would most riders, young and old, veteran and newbie, feel like they could handle such a bike? Apparently, yes.

Supersports, or more commonly, 600s, are red-hot sellers. Editor Duke reported back from his time at the U.S. launch of the 2008 R6 that the tuning fork company claims "the 600cc segment makes up 51% of what Yamaha calls the Supersport market, a segment that is up in sales a huge 52% since 2001." Yep, these things are pretty important.

As a matter of fact, the supersport class may become even more important to OEMs than it already is –whether they like it or not. When the AMA essentially admitted to its ineptness at handling American pro racing and announced in March of this year that Daytona Motorsports Group was granted rights to promote, sanction and manage various AMA racing series, one of DMG's first moves was to change the current structure of road racing. Starting in 2009, the premier class will likely be the "Daytona Superbike" class. As of the writing of this story, DMG hasn’t yet released specific rules for the new class but has stated that the collection of contenders will include Twins, Triples and four-cylinder bikes, and will have "middleweight performance horsepower limits," said to be 140 rear-wheel horsepower. In effect, this opens the door for six more brands that DMG says fit the bill: Aprilia, KTM, Triumph, BMW, Ducati and Buell.

More: 2008 Supersport Shootout: CBR600RR vs Daytona 675 vs ZX-6R vs R6 vs GSX-R600 on Motorcycle.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
for all of he 600cc bikes i believe that the yamaha will have the biggest following its a very tigh bike hugs turns and accelerates very smoothly the closest competition would have to be the kawasaki. i believe that there will be a very large aftermarket for the 600cc bikes in the next year their sales have comtinued to climb.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Personally im a bit surprised how poorly the yammi did. I myself am not impressed at all. :thumbdown
This is just one group of opinions based on little driving. If you go to motorcycleusa.com you get a totally different shootout review. On the dyno they've shown the R6 has the most power to the wheel on all these bikes, so I don't know where motorcycle.com came up with a weak motor score. They voted best all around the cbr (cause it's more street friendly), but all agreed that the R6 was the best on the track. So it's all just personal preference but the dyno doesn't lie.

:toocool:

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
This is just one group of opinions based on little driving. If you go to motorcycleusa.com you get a totally different shootout review. On the dyno they've shown the R6 has the most power to the wheel on all these bikes, so I don't know where motorcycle.com came up with a weak motor score. They voted best all around the cbr (cause it's more street friendly), but all agreed that the R6 was the best on the track. So it's all just personal preference but the dyno doesn't lie.

:toocool:
Their opinion is not just based on the highest peak number, but the area under the curve on the dyno graph. The R6 may have the highest peak, but in the midrange and bottom end (where the vast majority of these bikes spend most of their time) the R6 sucks donkey balls. That is why everyone says the R6 engine sucks.

·
FTW
83 Posts
I found the fuel efficiency numbers interesting...

Honda CBR600RR - 88.8%
Average fuel economy: 39.2 mpg

Suzuki GSX-R600 - 87.2%
Average fuel economy: 41.7 mpg

Triumph Daytona 675 - 86.5%
Average fuel economy: 39.8 mpg

Kawasaki ZX-6R - 84.7%
Average fuel economy: 37.3 mpg

Yamaha R6 - 79.6%
Average fuel economy: 36.2 mpg
I'm surprised to see that although is was noted that the Honda and Yamaha engines were very similar, that there was such a difference in the fuel efficiency between the two. (Not to mention that the R6 was shown to have the worst fuel efficiency in the class)
-Also noted that in this review the Honda is shown with 105 hp and 46 ft/lbs of torque while the Yamaha is shown with 104 hp and 41 ft/lbs of torque.

So... the Yamaha engine puts out less power, AND has less fuel efficiency than the nearly identical engine of the Honda?

I'd also like to add that it seems the only real downfall of the Honda at the moment is that it doesn't have a slipper clutch like the rest of its class, but rumors have it that it may switch over for 2009.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Their opinion is not just based on the highest peak number, but the area under the curve on the dyno graph. The R6 may have the highest peak, but in the midrange and bottom end (where the vast majority of these bikes spend most of their time) the R6 sucks donkey balls. That is why everyone says the R6 engine sucks.
I realize that, which is why the CBR motor is the best for street. The R6 curve is easy to maintain on a track or just anywhere that allows the speed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
if you guys want your R6 more street friendly and more power at the bottm end go spend 200 dollars from front and rear sprockets. it puts your power down where you want it to be.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What i can't figure out is the torque sheet they have that says the R6 makes maximum torque of 40ish while everyone else is higher, which they should be. But i'm wondering why they are saying the R6 makes max torque at 10,900RPM and everyone else is 12-13 grand for max torque, something seems a little off to me, along with the peak HP, yammie's bottom end sucks i know, i have an 07, but they scream and make huge HP up top compared to the rest, did motorcycle.com get a dud or something? Geez.

·
Jet noise in the morning
578 Posts
I'm all for numbers and all that jazz but is it me or does this seem like a kick the r6 in junk article. I personally have not had the luck to try the NEW model but it could help if i curbed my bias nature

·
Registered
5 Posts
:usa
Lets not get caught up in numbers and what one testers says over another. Fact of the matter is we choose our bikes, whether it be blue, red, green etc... because they are appealing, comfortable, reliable or economical. A great rider will always triumph an average rider with a great bike. Buy the bike you like!, and become a good rider. The best place to learn is your local track. Free of soccer moms, angry drivers, and freedom robbing cops.

jm

:menace06 R6 track ready / rock steady!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Cycle World Magazine's current issue has the ratings for all 2008 bikes and Yamaha wasn't even representing.

Best Street Bike (sports bike) was Suzuki's Gixxer (1Kcc), and best middle weight was the CBR 600RR.

Neither R1 nor R6 got any love.

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
:usa
Lets not get caught up in numbers and what one testers says over another. Fact of the matter is we choose our bikes, whether it be blue, red, green etc... because they are appealing, comfortable, reliable or economical. A great rider will always triumph an average rider with a great bike. Buy the bike you like!, and become a good rider. The best place to learn is your local track. Free of soccer moms, angry drivers, and freedom robbing cops.

jm

:menace06 R6 track ready / rock steady!
:stupic

·
R-Sex
422 Posts
these bogus ass tests that all these magazines put all the bikes through means absolutely nothing to me. put all those bikes out in real life situations, roads, etc., and see who out performs. these tests all have standards and all that bullshit that i think give the opportunity for bad numbers,... let it be proven on street where it really matters... :werd

·
Prove it!
511 Posts
The test was based on two parts. The first tests were based on the track which the R6 received the highest rating out of all the bikes on. The second was based on the street which the R6 scored last on.

I'm confused why anyone would question the results. Most people on here have complained about the same things that caused the lower street scoring. Sorry, but it does somewhat suck to have such a high power band on the street. You constantly have to down shift to get the power you need.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Eh, I can appreciate testers like these guys trying to be as thorough and objective as they can but in the end it comes down to what you want in a bike. I went with the R6 mainly for the styling and technical features (throttle-by-wire and all that).

Maybe there is a little less area under the power curve than other supersports. That really doesn't translate into anything to me as a casual rider. I suppose as I get into more hardcore riding these nitpicky little things will start to make a difference, but I'm in love with the bike and wouldn't want anything else.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
these bogus ass tests that all these magazines put all the bikes through means absolutely nothing to me. put all those bikes out in real life situations, roads, etc., and see who out performs. these tests all have standards and all that bullshit that i think give the opportunity for bad numbers,... let it be proven on street where it really matters... :werd
that's where the R6 would get spanked :fact

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Before buying the 08 r6, I rode all of the 08 600s on the street (not the daytona, though, as I am not interested in the english bike) and I have to say that the r6 is the least street friendly simply by virtue of the fact that the motor does nothing below 9k. The honda is the best street bike. HOWEVER, if you are going to go to the track, do yourself a favor and buy an 08 r6. Right out of the box they are abso-effing-lutely awesome. If you can keep it above that 9k, it is an absolute rocket. It is confidence inspiring (if you have a stabilizer) and forgiving while still being razor sharp. I went from never being on the track to dragging both knees confidently by the end of my first track day. The brakes are awesome and did not fade on me at all. The suspension is key too, very well chosen components. For the street, they are stiff, giving a very bumpy ride your old lady wont like. The r6 also needs a little more slipping of the clutch to get off the line, but really, if you want a 600cc level drag bike, buy a 636. The r6 was always peaky, never a midrange bike.

Quite frankly, you cannot buy a bad 2008 600, much like you cant buy a bad 2008 450 motocrosser. It comes down to riding style, personal preference, and color choice for most people. those looking to go to the track need only look at which 600 is laying it down in the AMA right now, the venerable and track owning r6.

Just my 2 cents...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts